I haven't had any issues with mold yet. I wipe the glass down once a week, and I would eventually like to set up a CPU fan pointed at the front glass. I think I would need a mister or fogger on a timer for the crpyts though if I do this.
I have run into an issue growing algeas on the rock ledges where water is running over. I have reduced my light and grown christmas moss in the area. This has helped. My nerites also crawl up on the ledges to scrape algea.
Still working on hanging or mounting my lights so I can take better video/photo.
Thanks for the comments. I will look into the mistking products, as I have seen them mentioned around here before.
Hopefully I'll have another video up in the future that is higher quality (not cell phone! it can't handle reflections off the rock, I swear the glare isnt that bad in person). Lots of new growth from the mosses and plants on the rock ledge.
As promised, a video update. Two brief videos to show the great emergent crypt growth and my tinkerings underwater: added some crypt. spiralis and driftwood. I am very pleased with the look of the spiralis.
Video Update #2:
Happen to know your the TDS of the water? I've always wanted to combine CP's with aquariums but I've always lived in areas with water high in minerals/TDS...right now I get just above 300 ppm in my tanks, which still out of range for even hardy CP's like D. capensis to survive. Thought about cutting with RO but that's more expensive and time consuming than hooking right up to the faucet...
Tap water here is liquid rock unfortunately (~333 TDS and 8.4+ pH). Most my favorite fish and shrimp are soft water though, so I was already using re-mineralized RO water. I installed a Costco RO filter. I keep a few 5g containers filled from the RO filter, so not too much more work than water changes straight out of the tap.
The bottom is dirted capped with black blasting sand with a bit of eco mixed in. Top ledges are primarily blasting sand with a bit of eco again. The d. capensis was growing pretty much in plain sand, so I hope it takes to the black blasting sand.
As for the amount of RO I use on this particular tank, it only holds ~27 depending on how high I fill it. I don't use more than 10g of RO water for a major water change (how much depends on if I remineralize or am lazy and just mix in tap). I can do water changes as infrequently as once a month.
Video update on the paludarium from September 2014. I replaced the d. capensis with UG. I might try some drosera in a few different spots up a bit higher on the ledge. The c. spiralis is also trimmed way back in this video:
Yes, it is a flowering crypt. pontederiifolia. That is probably the 5th spathe that pont. has put out since spring. A crypt. wendtii bronze is also blooming on the far left, but the spathe is rather bland and blends in. I am working a few new crypts into the ledge I would like to try to get to bloom as well: ciliata and cordata.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.