The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats gonna happen when iI increase light conditions? I have ran low tech tank with 40 watts of light on this same 55 gal. I fertalized about twice a week.I'm planning to utilize a D.Y.I. C.O.2 system and i"m looking to utilize a 500watt metal halide fixture. So my question is this too much light? I want to be able to support baby tears in the forground and a few other high light plants.And if it's too much light then how much do I need? Is it possible to have too much light?

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
I would definitely reduce lighting. You would need a pressurized CO2 system with those and even then, you'll be fighting algae constantly in my opinion. Thats about 9 watts of MH lighting per gallon. That is very very high. I would look into two T5HO lights over the tank for some nice high light that will support baby tears. But even then, you should really use some pressurized co2

·
Banned
332 Posts
You would need pressurized Co2 and you would need to have the light a good few feet above the tank or else it wont cover the edges to well, It depends on the reflector and the bulb etc but without co2 I wouldnt consider it. I have two 175 mh's over a 50 b and that is more then I need but no algae problem but some plants really do not appreciate that much light and the level of growth I am getting could easily be achieved with many fewer watts of more efficient bulbs ie t5s or even overdriven t-8s. But I had the lights and I dont pay extra for electric. why dont you put your light over a 5 foot diameter baby pool and grow in that it would make more sense.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
500 watts is definitely way too much light, unless you want to be adventurous with algae invasions, lol.

Reduce to the 2 - 3 watt per gallon range, imo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts