The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up a 50 gallon tank, dimensions are 36" x 18" x 18".

I plan on a 'low tech' style planted tank with the typical stone and wood hard scape. The substrate will be either stratum/flourite and/or black sand.
Lighting is a Aqueon OptiBright Led. I plan on doing a split daylight schedule with a siesta in middle of light 'on' schedule via a timer.
For the plant list I'm thinking java ferns, crypts, either/both parrots feather/hornwort, anubius and a moss but not sure what would be best. Tank I kept years ago the java moss was always breaking off and clogging filter intakes so if possible I'd like to avoid that headache again. I'm open to suggestions on the plant list.

Equipment is :Filter Eheim classic 350 (2217), Eheim preset heater 77' 200w, and I'll probably also add an HOB because I like redundancy on filtration.
So this is my proposed stocking list
1 Sunset thicklip Gourami
12 black skirt tetras
2-5 apistogramma cacatuoides either orange flash or double/triple red
6-10 panda corys
1 bristle nose pleco
maybe a few purple mystery snails too, help with algae control

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

I plan on a 'low tech' style planted tank with the typical stone and wood hard scape. The substrate will be either stratum/flourite and/or black sand.
Lighting is a Aqueon OptiBright Led. I plan on doing a split daylight schedule with a siesta in middle of light 'on' schedule via a timer.
For the plant list I'm thinking java ferns, crypts, either/both parrots feather/hornwort, anubius and a moss but not sure what would be best. Tank I kept years ago the java moss was always breaking off and clogging filter intakes so if possible I'd like to avoid that headache again. I'm open to suggestions on the plant list.

Equipment is :Filter Eheim classic 350 (2217), Eheim preset heater 77' 200w, and I'll probably also add an HOB because I like redundancy on filtration.
12 black skirt tetras
6-10 panda corys
1 bristle nose pleco

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

12 black skirt tetras
6-10 panda corys
1 bristle nose pleco

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Also open to other suggestions on the substrate but I definitely want dark/black. Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am setting up a new little tank over the weekend and I am using UNS controsoil fine black, supposedly it leaches less ammonia than for example ADA.

for some reason I have your same issues with the java moss.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
IME mystery snails aren't that great for algae, they're better at taking care of excess food and plant matter- they love eating driftwood too. I've found nerites and the dreaded pond snail to be the best algae cleaning snails. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have not had great success with moss in my 50 gallon. I have some Jungle Val in my tank that seems to be doing well. It does send out runners.

I might suggest a larger canister filter instead of a canister and a HOB unit. This would make it simpler and give you better flow. Maybe 2 Classic 350's. It would give you a backup if one were to kick the bucket 🪣

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.