The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting a 50 gallon tank soon & im looking for suggestions on a light that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg! looked into 48 " shop lights at home depot, but most i see are only 2x32w which wont be nearly enough because of course i want to plant it :) i am not skilled electronically, but if there is a way to alter these lights in an easy enough way, i am interested in that too. all help is GREATLY appreciated!! thx guys!

p.s. and 'arm and a leg' to me is 100$ + :frown:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is a pretty good deal! you think 108w is enough light though?

·
Registered
414 Posts
You could always hang more than one shop light. At my local Lowes they were advertising 48" shop lights for $9 w/o bulbs. You could rig two or three and get more wattage.

·
Registered
548 Posts
fishneedit.com has cheap ones like what Lnd said. They're T5 lamps which means, they are brighter than normal fluorescent and compact fluorescent bulbs. I think that light is enough...
Also, are you getting pressurized CO2? THat'll cost more than 100...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Geez you guys in america get stuff cheap. Even allowing for the difference in the dollar at the stock exchange. I could not get a co2 injection unit here in aus for under $300aus & single tube 48" T8 shop light fittings will cost me $30 a piece at a discount hardware/electrical store.

I found 48" T8 shop fittings to be the cheapest thing for me to get without ordering off the net. I put four of them over my 55gal for $60aus as I got them through a electrician friend. That did not include the cost of the tubes which was about $130aus. T5's would usually give you more bang for your buck though I believe.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
For cheap lighting for a 48" tank, shop lights are great. For good lighting when you are going to spend the money for presurized CO2, spend the money to get a decent T5 HO fixture and decent bulbs.

As to Oz, if I may, T8 shop lights usually cost us about $15.00 each when not on sale. It looks like you pay about double what plant bulbs cost us though. Can your electrician friend order bulbs from his parts supplier? That's where I get most of my electrical needs taken care of. It might be cheaper to purchase a case and sell some to other hobbyists.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha yea, i looked into the paintball canister co2 at a lfs for about 115$, so my limited budget on lighting is partially due to that. im not getting this tank until end of december (xmas!) so i have some time to collect items as the paychecks come haha

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Don't go with a paint ball rig. The gauges cost the same and a 5# cylinder will last significantly longer than a 20 oz paintball tank. Since you have time, shop carefully for deals and the cylinder might not run much more either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't go with a paint ball rig. The gauges cost the same and a 5# cylinder will last significantly longer than a 20 oz paintball tank. Since you have time, shop carefully for deals and the cylinder might not run much more either.
i was considering the 5# cylinder setup, but its hard to find a place that will fill your tank without wanting to swap tanks with you. paintball tanks, can be filled for 2$ at a local paint ball park. im still doing research for my area as i would perfer the 5# setup but i might have to go with paint ball setup myself. do you think the paint ball tank say the largest 20oz would make it at least a month or two on a 50 gal?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
i was considering the 5# cylinder setup, but its hard to find a place that will fill your tank without wanting to swap tanks with you. paintball tanks, can be filled for 2$ at a local paint ball park. im still doing research for my area as i would perfer the 5# setup but i might have to go with paint ball setup myself. do you think the paint ball tank say the largest 20oz would make it at least a month or two on a 50 gal?
I use 20 oz paintball tanks on a 46 gallon and they last about 4 weeks at 2bps. If I had a place closer to fill or exchange 5 or 10 pounders, that would be the way I would go.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you drove by a paint gun shop everyday to work would a paint ball canister be the best bet? I am going to get a co2 set up for Christmas and was wondering if the convenience would make the smaller bottle worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts