The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Largest tank I have kept shrimps in up to date is a 17G from Mr. Aqua so this is outside of my comfort zone.

Questions:

1.) I want the brown look of Akadama but smaller grain size, so should I get Azoo Plant Grower or ADA Africana. Anything else out there I don't know of?

2.) 50 gallons is a lot of footprint so getting 4" of buffering soil could cost a LOT. Is that even necessary? Would I be able to get away with good buffering and just 2" of buffering soil given the large footprint of the tank?

3.) Is it even recommended to do a tank this large for shrimps?

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
I have 4 40gallon breeder tanks that I use for shrimp and they work really well. 3 have neos and one has Crystal Shrimp. I use ADA Aquasoil Amazonia for my substrate and have less than 1 inch of substrate in the tank. It has probably been set up for 2 years at this point.

1) I like the Amazonia but that is the only one I have used before.
2) I have had success with 1 inch or less but I use RO and Salty Shrimp GH+ so I don't need a ton of buffering
3) Bigger is better as it allows for more stable water conditions.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Um do you really need 50gal tank? Unless you already had it. The 40gal breeder tank would work best in this case. It not take more space than 50gal. As far the soil, you are right it will cost more for 50gal, at least go for 1.5 inch.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am contemplating between setting up a 25 gallon or a 50 :/

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a 70 gallon with RCS and CRS that did well while I had it. I won't go into too many specifics about, however I will say that you need a large colony to manage this. At first I only had around 20 shrimp and none of the females were ever berried because there were so few shrimp in the large tank. When I got to above 50-60 shrimp over time, I saw breeding. That's just y experience though. It was definitely my favorite tank, though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a 75g tank that's been going for over a year now started with 20 cbs and now have well over 200 and the 1 thing I like with bigger tanks is I have to do less water changes I do a 25g water change once every 3 or 4 months and have seen no ill effects or lack in breeding. Its set up with akadama and 2 HoB filters nothing special.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Lots of folks only do tanks with half substrate and leave the rest bare substrate and do just fine. I say rock on and do a 50 g. Just have plenty of shrimp. More than not have said they have more difficulty in large tanks possibly due to the shrimp not being able to find each other in such vast territory. Honestly some of my best breeding was done in 3 gallon tanks. Take it with a grain of salt, everyone will have different experiences:)

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
Go big or go home. My 48.8 Mr aqua is the best investment I made. I have hundreds of tb babies now and hundreds of mischlings. Everything is thriving. I am about to do a tank with Drl akadma. I have 3 full bags been sitting for years

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't tell by the size of this tank but it doesn't look small.

Probably a 90P?

If it is, I'll go for it!!! :hihi:

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't think there is a HUGE difference between a 33 and a 48 so mind as well go for the larger if it isn't that much more right? :)

What concerns me is the WC during the initial stage of using ADA Amazonia or Africana. The quick cycle method requires like 100% WC every day and then every other day for the 1st month, otherwise it takes a good 3 months to really get ammonia down to 0 or at least "shrimp safe". That is so long!!! :(

And in terms of filtration, is a Eheim 2217 + 2 XL Sponge Filters enough for a 48G or I'll need something crazier? :icon_roll

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.