The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to be have my tank planted and i have nova extreme 48" 108 watts(2 bulbs). i need to know by next 1-2 hours if this tank should work fine.

i think the tank dimensions is 48X13X18 or 48X18X13 (am not sure which one it is, but its one of them).

could anyone please give me answer quickely.

thank you

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Should be fine. With the right bulbs you'll be in the higher light range and able to grow most plants and a lot of algae without CO2.

·
Banned
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you

thank you for the reply and i do have co2 system (no sugar yeast method). the lights will put about 2.16WPG and i know that T5HO is very high compare to regular T5. now can you tell me for sure that this will work just fine. because i am going to go buy a 50g breeder. thank you

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Looks like you have a 50 gallon long tank, not a breeder, breeders are 36" long by 18" back to front. Light should be fine since you have the longer and narrower tank but I think you are going to need CO2. I have a Catalina T5HO fixture that I am running 108 watts over the same tank and even with pressurized CO2 had to raise the light a foot or so above the tank to help keep algae under control. The Catalina fixtures have good reflectors, if your nova extreme is either T5NO or has lousy reflectors you may be able to get away without CO2 but I think you need to consider the possibility that you will need it and plan accordingly.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i called the store and they said its 50g 48X13X18
Yes, that is a 50 gallon tank (same one I have) but it is not a 50 gallon breeder (36" x 18' x 19"). If it was a 50 gallon breeder your 48" fixture would not fit on it.

The fixture you have will be fine for the tank you want to purchase but it will put you in the high light range. With the amount of light you have you will need a comprehensive fertilization routine that includes stable and adequate CO2 levels. I don't think you are going to get stable CO2 levels in a tank that size with DIY CO2. I didn't understand your post about the "no sugar yeast method" but DIY CO2 on a tank this size is very difficult to get to work regardless of the mixture.

What is your definition of "work"? The light will fit on the tank, it will grow plants well but it will also grow algae equally as well if you don't provide proper nutrients and CO2.

What exactly are you using for CO2 generation/distribution and how do you plant to fertilize?

·
Banned
3,200 Posts
hi

sorry i think the seller made a mistake by calling it breeder. i looked at it and it said 50g Long 48-1/2"L x 12-1/2"W x 19"H

i meant to say that the co2 i use is 5lb co2 which is difuse with Rhinox 2000 . i only have one but i plan to add another one. can i add 2 of these and would this work just fine for the 50g. and if anyone could walk me thrugh how to add this or what kind of stuff i need, i would be thank ful to that person.

i do have the dosing routine which is adding fertilizers everyday, i got this information on how to dose from www.barrreport.com
and this is what i use:
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/

thank you all

ebay link removed

Yes, that is a 50 gallon tank (same one I have) but it is not a 50 gallon breeder (36" x 18' x 19"). If it was a 50 gallon breeder your 48" fixture would not fit on it.

The fixture you have will be fine for the tank you want to purchase but it will put you in the high light range. With the amount of light you have you will need a comprehensive fertilization routine that includes stable and adequate CO2 levels. I don't think you are going to get stable CO2 levels in a tank that size with DIY CO2. I didn't understand your post about the "no sugar yeast method" but DIY CO2 on a tank this size is very difficult to get to work regardless of the mixture.

What is your definition of "work"? The light will fit on the tank, it will grow plants well but it will also grow algae equally as well if you don't provide proper nutrients and CO2.

What exactly are you using for CO2 generation/distribution and how do you plant to fertilize?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts