The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
One month update, Angel fish are just gorgeous! They are absolute pigs and follow you around looking for feed 24/7!
They are growing like weeds!

As you can see in some of the pictures I'm just getting into the brown algae stage,...just riding it out and hopefully it will be over soon.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I love sterbai corys! How many did you get?
I picked up 10 sterbai. They are actually my favorite in the tank!
I have 3 melini and 2 metae also. One of the melini is a TANK--- he is massive!

The sterbai have colored up really nice with orange fins and when they school up its fun to watch. I feed them a bunch of blood worms last night and for some reason that turned them on. All 10 where in a herd chasing each other.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Once they start breeding you can't stop them it seems. I'm getting cory eggs now every day or so. About 20 yesterday, 1 today, and there are probably 20 swimmers already. Love it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love sterbai corys! I had 8 of them (3 grown from eggs), now they're in tank at work (were working great with ropefish, but not from Africa). Aren't those the biggest, most beautiful corys existing? :-D
Yep, I'm hooked on them too! The whole impetus for this tank was sterbai and angels!

If they start laying I don't thing much will survive! The angels are absolute pigs and they are pretty good at picking through the tight plant spots to get food at this smaller size.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Ichy,

This is ONE BEAUTIFUL AQUARIUM!!!!! I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!! Angels are FREAKIN AWESOME, the Corys you have in there are MY FAVORITE (Sterbai and Melini)!!!!

Is there another journal telling more about the aquarium itself??? If not can you give us details on the workings of the tank? Filtration, Heating, Lighting, where did you get those BEAUTIFUL ANGELS??? What about the melini?

Is that Black Diamond Blasting Grit as a cap for the top soil? Do you have a plant List? What about Ferts?

Also, what are the dimensions of the tank?

Thanks for Everything!!!
Drew

P.S. Subscribed!!!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Once they show breeding behavior, you can just pull out the most busy ones into a smaller tank to spawn and then return them to the tank.
You could probably raise the fry in a kitty litter tray, but if the dollar a gallon is on, I'd get a tenner.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ichy,

This is ONE BEAUTIFUL AQUARIUM!!!!! I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!! Angels are FREAKIN AWESOME, the Corys you have in there are MY FAVORITE (Sterbai and Melini)!!!!

Is there another journal telling more about the aquarium itself??? If not can you give us details on the workings of the tank? Filtration, Heating, Lighting, where did you get those BEAUTIFUL ANGELS??? What about the melini?

Is that Black Diamond Blasting Grit as a cap for the top soil? Do you have a plant List? What about Ferts?

Also, what are the dimensions of the tank?

Thanks for Everything!!!
Drew

P.S. Subscribed!!!
I should probably take the time to do a journal but in a nutshell:

50 gallon oceanic...I had it in the basement for YEARS and never did anything with it.
Bought an oak unfinished base cabinet and reinforced it.

The filtration is drilled in the back top with two 1 1/2 schedule 80 bulkheads through a 24 inch internal surface weir. That dumbs into an external box with a bean animal drain setup.

That dumps into a 29 gallon sump in the cabinet. I have an old Ehiem submersible pump that goes to a Vecton-4: V2 400 UV sterilizer and then to a Hydor inline 300w heater.

Lighting is a 36" Ecoxotic E series light that I am in the process of building a riser for. It does a much better job if it is not resting on the tank edge.

Low tech tank, no co2.
Black Diamond substrate with DIY osmocote root tabs.

Plants are various java fern types and lots of various crypts.
parva in the front
lucens in the middle
balansae and wendetii of various colors in the back
bought all the crypts off Evil bay.

anubias hastifolia tucked into the rock piles.

Rocks are from various rock piles around the neighborhood.

I designed the sump, filter and built it all myself. I love DIY aquarium projects and i'm lucky to have access to some very nice manufacturing machines.

The real pucker factor was the acrylic external box. I had never really done much with acrylic and to build a waterproof box was a little intimidating. BUT so far no leaks!

The 10 angelfish are from petsmart and petco costing about $5-6 each. I really wanted the "basic" wild looking ones so when I found a basic normal silver I picked it up. Then one day they had three angels in a tank, I only wanted the one silver, then felt bad for the two lonely marbles, so I took them all.
The NON sterbai corys came from Petsmart.
The 10 sterbai all came from a LFS that I kept bugging to order me in some, and they finally did!

·
Registered
618 Posts
your panda's are huge!! the ones I have are tiny maybe one as big as the spotted cori thats with all your pandas right in the front! but man what a great looking tank!! Once I have the room for another tank I was one with just angles beautiful little guys!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.