The Planted Tank Forum banner

5' Rimless - The Malaysian Driftwood Installation

53587 789
I have been picking away at this project for a little while: building a light mount, gathering equipment, etc... Just this evening I was finally able to get the tank itself onto the stand (it has been in the garage waiting on sufficient muscle and planning to make the move into the house). I figure this is a good time to start a journal.

Here's where things stand as of this evening:

Window Wood Twig Rectangle Art

Table Furniture Property Picture frame Building

Wood Building Couch Floor Art

Some of you may be familiar with this space, as it is the same spot that previously housed a 68g chronicled in this tank journal. As I came to realize (and note in that journal), this is the best spot in my house for a larger tank due to the arrangement of floor joists for the main level, which sits above a full unfinished basement. Ultimately, as much as I loved that tank, it was a missed opportunity for the space. I finished that project on a high note and took it down to make room for this five-footer. This tank size is a much better fit.

I already knew I was going to put a bigger tank in this space when I found this truly massive piece of driftwood at my local fish shop. Once I had the wood, the contours of the project started to take shape. For example, I was going to need spot lighting from about 90" off the floor. There will be no lid. There will be the potential for emergent growth and/or a mixed aquatic and terrestrial planting. Many things are still unknown, but they're starting to fall into place. One thing at a time!

First - the name of the tank journal should reflect the absurdity of the wood's proportions. Check.

Next is plumbing.

Then, hardscape.

More (much more) to come.
721 - 740 of 790 Posts

· Registered
4,880 Posts
...and another

View attachment 1048921

Given the rabbit's proclivity for cord destruction, it seemed prudent to keep the tree in the sitting room this year.
Nice shots!! What lens did you pick up?

I might have missed this before, but I am now fascinated that you have a rabbit in your house? I've heard they can be house trained but have never seen it in person. How long have you had the bunny?

· Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #724 ·
Nice shots!! What lens did you pick up?
It's a 12-24mm. Crazy how wide lenses can go these days. I remember lusting over a 20mm back in the 90s thinking it was exotic!

I might have missed this before, but I am now fascinated that you have a rabbit in your house? I've heard they can be house trained but have never seen it in person. How long have you had the bunny?
Yep, a Flemish Giant. He's a good pet, though he does chew on things. He's completely litter trained, and his box doesn't smell like a cat box does. We've had him for 9 months now.

· Premium Member
957 Posts
It's a 12-24mm. Crazy how wide lenses can go these days. I remember lusting over a 20mm back in the 90s thinking it was exotic!

Yep, a Flemish Giant. He's a good pet, though he does chew on things. He's completely litter trained, and his box doesn't smell like a cat box does. We've had him for 9 months now.
We're gonna need a pic of the rabbit lol.

ETA: I'd love to get a rabbit but I'm not quite sure how my Aussie would do with it. I'm almost positive he'll murder cats and squirrels if given the chance, and he sort of has the same reactions when he sees some of the wild rabbits around here. I'm just not sure if he wants to herd them, or murder them lol.

· Registered
4,880 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive...

View attachment 1048958
BUNNY!

My daughter (age 5) is wild for a bunny right now. I'm just not going to tell her there is someone on the fish forum that has one in their house :p I keep telling her she has to wait until she is old enough to take care of one herself and then it will be an outside animal.

That's a nice lense! I have a 16-35 for my camera that is my primary goto lense for full tank shots or general landscape shots, I completely love it and it definitely gets the most use out of any of my lenses.

· Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #728 ·
That's a nice lense! I have a 16-35 for my camera that is my primary goto lense for full tank shots or general landscape shots, I completely love it and it definitely gets the most use out of any of my lenses.
I have a 16-35 too which was my go to wide angle environment/landscape lens. I'll have to see if it still gets used, though I expect not, since I mostly used it at its wider mils and this lens is better corrected. It may eventually get sold to partially cover the 35mm I've got my eye on (it never ends lol).

· Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #729 ·
I always seem to get the photo bug in wintertime... this wasn't ever much of a problem when most of my shooting was of my kids when they were small, but now that they're getting older, they're less and less into being photographed. I've struggled trying to make the transition back to photography emphasizing other subjects outside the home. It takes more planning and dedication of time. Winter makes that all the more difficult. I'm going to continue to work on that, but in the meantime, I'm trying to find new and interesting ways to photograph my fish! lol, I know - these are the most thoroughly photographed fish in all of human history...

Today, I tried capturing the frenzy that erupts at feeding time. Okay for a first effort, I think, but I think I'll give it some more tries.

Plant Leaf Underwater Terrestrial plant Art

Plant Leaf Botany People in nature Organism

Plant Leaf Organism People in nature Grass

Plant People in nature Organism Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

· Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #732 ·
@EmotionalFescue: Have you been to Aqua Imports recently? If so, do they have any large driftwood there?

Might stop there en route to my in-laws’ in FC tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
@Le duke - went to Aqua Imports today and they had some really big pieces...

Shoe Sleeve Baby & toddler clothing Grey Wood

That's my 5'2" daughter for scale.

· Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #735 ·
Your macro lens is awesome. Mine is terrible, I'm so jealous!! Plus, nice fish ;)
It's optically very good, but the AF hunts quite a bit, which makes getting sharp pics of the rainbows pretty tricky. I actually switched from using continuous tracking AF to single AF for these shots and it worked pretty well. I just smashed the shutter button all the way down and it grabbed focus in the split second before the exposure. Or, it didn't and there was a whole frame of mush!

· Registered
4,880 Posts
It's optically very good, but the AF hunts quite a bit, which makes getting sharp pics of the rainbows pretty tricky. I actually switched from using continuous tracking AF to single AF for these shots and it worked pretty well. I just smashed the shutter button all the way down and it grabbed focus in the split second before the exposure. Or, it didn't and there was a whole frame of mush!
My macro is sadly manual, making taking pictures a chancy proposition, plus its just not all that sharp gosh darn it.

721 - 740 of 790 Posts