The Planted Tank Forum banner

5' Rimless - The Malaysian Driftwood Installation

54722 Views 797 Replies 56 Participants Last post by  EmotionalFescue
I have been picking away at this project for a little while: building a light mount, gathering equipment, etc... Just this evening I was finally able to get the tank itself onto the stand (it has been in the garage waiting on sufficient muscle and planning to make the move into the house). I figure this is a good time to start a journal.

Here's where things stand as of this evening:

Window Wood Twig Rectangle Art

Table Furniture Property Picture frame Building

Wood Building Couch Floor Art

Some of you may be familiar with this space, as it is the same spot that previously housed a 68g chronicled in this tank journal. As I came to realize (and note in that journal), this is the best spot in my house for a larger tank due to the arrangement of floor joists for the main level, which sits above a full unfinished basement. Ultimately, as much as I loved that tank, it was a missed opportunity for the space. I finished that project on a high note and took it down to make room for this five-footer. This tank size is a much better fit.

I already knew I was going to put a bigger tank in this space when I found this truly massive piece of driftwood at my local fish shop. Once I had the wood, the contours of the project started to take shape. For example, I was going to need spot lighting from about 90" off the floor. There will be no lid. There will be the potential for emergent growth and/or a mixed aquatic and terrestrial planting. Many things are still unknown, but they're starting to fall into place. One thing at a time!

First - the name of the tank journal should reflect the absurdity of the wood's proportions. Check.

Next is plumbing.

Then, hardscape.

More (much more) to come.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
How interesting. I went left to right with this tank because of the room layout, but now that I think about it, left to right does seem more natural... Maybe it has a bit to do with the direction we read and write in?
This is a really interesting thought. I often find myself thinking the left to right flow seems more natural, but sometimes the room dictates the opposite. I wonder if any of our members whose first language reads from right to left see the opposite as more natural.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts