The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm wondering if it's feasible to light a planted tank with some LED ebay bulbs from China? I know the watts/gallon rule does not apply for LED's, but I seem to have read so many mixed things on growing plants with LEDs. I don't aim to grow extremely high light demanding plants.. but I don't want to be limited to only java ferns and anubias :p

My tank came with a stock hood, I don't want to go crazy with modding but if LED's can be a nice change from CFL I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

------------------------
An example of a bulb I was considering was:

specs:

Brand new high quality!
Low consumption and high brightness
Spotlight, no UV radiation
Designed to fit standard E27 fittings
Long service life, three to four times as long as normal halogen lamps
Suitable for office, exhibition or home use
LED quantity: 102
Shell material: ABS plastic
Input: 220V
Power: 6W
Light color: white
Color temperature: 4800K
Luminous flux: 600LM
Width: about 40mm
Length: about 159mm
Lifespan: 50,000 hours
------------------------

Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wouldn't that bulb be too much for a 5G? I got 1 5W LED GU10 bulb with a E27 converter, I use it in a 2 lamp desk lamp fixture with a spiral CFL aiming into a Eclipse 12.

These things get hot to the touch for even 5W. I have it in at work and only leave it on a few hours a day because the heat.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would go with one of these. The LEDs are much stronger and brighter. You also want the k to be at 6500k to grow plants well. These cost about $30 on eBay
The KELVIN color does not matter that is a preference for what suits each individual the output or par is whats needed to grow plants. if this was a main light i would get a 6500k -10,000k depending on what color you like to view. but the par 38 bulbs are much better, and there are several companys to sell them ledwholesalers,ebay, ext homedepot might even carry some not sure on that though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only problem with par 38 and similar style bulbs is that like I said, I have a stock hood.. so I'd need something that can be plugged in horizontally, like any cfl or a horizontal led light like the one gave as an example.. I think I'm going to add an extra socket and go with two cfls. Without knowing the actual Par reading of these LEDS it's hard to know if they'll be suitable :/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.