The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was wondering if i could have any fish in my 5g tank. I want fishes that would swim together like a school but maybe 3 to 5 only. Any suggestions of fish suitable for my tank?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
of you are a beginner...maybe a group of 4 small neon tetras.

Make sure you cycle the tanks and everything first as well as doing more water changes upon introduction of the fish to accommodate the increased bioload.

How well is this tank planted?

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
The link in the first post of the nano fish sticky is broken, but if you look down the thread and google some of the scientific names, you'll see a lot of great choices.

I know you said you wanted a small school, but I'll still throw in my favorite choice which is a single betta. Google dragonscale betta, halfmoon betta or halfmoon plakat betta. Betta usually have a unique personality.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I personally believe that all of the suggested schooling fish should be kept in schools of around 6-8 in 10g tanks.

You could try pygmy corries. Also, if you don't want fish, a five gallon aquarium could easily hold 20+ shrimp, so you can keep those.

If you do insist on keeping small rasboras/tetras regular water changes, and testing is a must plus light feeding. In addition you must cycle the aquarium properly first... however I feel like a 5g tank wouldn't be a proper home for any of these fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.