The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The university i'm interested in going to (UT) allows fish in 5 gallons or smaller. What are the best "micro" fish that anyone has had experience keeping?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
African dwarf frogs or dwarf puffers or a beta.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Endlers are pretty awesome Fish. Just got some N class peacock's from SuzieQ and i must say i am VERY impressed with them.

You could also go with some fish like CPD's, Dwarf Cories, Ember Tetras, or the Dwarf Emerald Rasboras.

Another possibility is Shrimp

·
Registered
796 Posts
Dozens of types of nano fish to choose from as well as the usual dwarf shrimp :D. I have dwarf shrimps in both my tanks, as well as dwarf rasboras, blue eyed rainbowfish, and a pygmy gourami in my 10g tank. My 5.5 houses a scarlet badis which is actually really cool because it's this tiny red fish that likes to hover around the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Endlers, boraras species, shrimp, a single betta, or scarlet badis would do fine in a 5 gallon.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I have my 5 gallon up, I had a betta, some corys and otos. They seemed to do fine together. If I had the space I would set it up again.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Endlers are pretty awesome Fish. Just got some N class peacock's from SuzieQ and i must say i am VERY impressed with them.

You could also go with some fish like CPD's, Dwarf Cories, Ember Tetras, or the Dwarf Emerald Rasboras.

Another possibility is Shrimp
Thanks ADJ :D.

5 male Endlers and 5 dwarf/pygmy cories or some Red Cherry Shrimp (be sure it is a planted tank), or up to 10 male Endlers with no other tank mates. Male Endlers are smaller then male Guppies.

I wouldn't do female Endlers though...males are colorful, females are not and they are bigger than the males.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts