The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my grandmother has ended up enjoying the shrimp quite a bit, and we've decided to set up a 5 gallon in her room for the Neocaridina so they can be somewhere they can be watched and appreciated. The current plan is to keep it low-tech, and to dry start it for a few weeks before flooding. I'm planning to do some crypts, java moss, and possibly some red root floaters.

This is the current layout. The hardscape is mostly going to be okho stone, though there will be a simple piece of driftwood on the sandy side. I'll probably be using a small, mossy piece of cholla from the current aquarium so that won't be moved until the shrimp are. My other option is a skinny piece of spiderwood that looks sort of like a fallen tree. The sandy portion will be left unplanted or only planted very lightly. My grandmother wants a lot of open space to see the shrimp in (my bedroom aquarium is too densely planted for her liking) so we're going to keep it nice and open. Behind the rocks I intend to plant crypts, which will hopefully be a nice little retreat for the shrimp if they feel the need to hide. I'm intending to do a java moss wall for the background, though if that fails to thrive I've also blacked out the back panel.

This is a view from the back, showing the hill. Lava rock makes the main structure to give it height without being as heavy as something like pure sand, then a layer or fluval stratum to fill up the bigger gaps between the lava rocks and a layer of sand overtop. I know the sand will eventually sink down, but hopefully once the plants fill in it won't matter too much. I'll likely add a thin layer of the current black gravel overtop of it all once the aquarium is ready, but again I don't want to disrupt the shrimp by removing things from their home until their new space is ready.

At this point, I've secured some plastic canvas/mesh to the back glass, which is what I'm going to be growing the moss on. There's also a piece that will be attached to the front of the filter to hide it. The filter is an Aquaneat corner sponge filter, so the front of it is clear plastic and the moss cover won't have any impact on it's flow or function. My plan is to use the painting method for the moss - blend or chop it fine and paint it where desired then keep it moist for a few weeks so it can attach and grow. Usually that method uses yogurt but I'm going to stick with water and aquasoil which I read someone else had success with. We'll see how it goes, fingers crossed.​

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coming along nicely! Only thing I might do before adding aqua soil is test those rocks and be sure they're free of/low in carbonates. Muriatic acid will fizz if they have much at all, or you could just put one in a 5 gallon bucket along with an empty bucket as a control and see if the pH rises after 24-48 hours.
Thank you, they seem to be safe luckily. I completely scrapped my original design, but am pretty happy with the results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.