The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal is to try to get a shrimp tank up and running for a mix of neocaridinas and I'm wondering how hard is it to maintain such a tank,

Do I have to change the water slower or else they will get shocked?

Can I rearrange the hardscape and plants regularly?

Do I have to feed them a variety of expensive foods?

How do I know if my shrimp aren't slowly dying off? (I've heard this can happen :confused:)

I'd welcome any wisdom or experiences you've had with neos! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
15,784 Posts
Step one: Search is your friend. Read the stickied posts here. Read through the Shrimp section. Check out tank journals. Since you have really basic questions, doing that sort of thing will really help you in the long run and you'll get your immediate questions answered.

That sort of tank is really easy to set up and maintain if you have patience and put in the effort. Just know that mixing different colors of Neos will result in off-color or wild-type Neo offspring eventually. They'll mix and you'll lose the various colors you start with. Plenty of people do that but most prefer single-color tanks.

Slower water change than what? Just swap out 10-20% of your water each week. As long as parameters are matched, it's a quick process. Only takes a few minutes.

You can rescape your tank but there's always a possibility of stirring things up. It's best to get your scape the way you like it before starting things up. Get settled on a scape before filling the tank with water, even.

You can feed shrimp leaf litter, organic spinach, zucchini, expensive foods, a fish flake here or there. I feed my tanks about 2-3 times per week and no more than they can consume in an hour.

It's not common for your shrimp colony to slowly die off. Where'd you read that? (I'd stop reading that source if I were you.) That only happens if you have unhealthy stock or don't properly maintain your tank. I.E., constantly sticking your hands in the water, messing things up, overfeeding, that sort of thing.

But really - put in some effort and do a bunch of reading here on the forum. You'll tank yourself. (And going through shrimp tank journals is a lot of fun.)

Get your tank. Scape it. Add your plants. Fill it up. Then do a fishless 'cycle' over the course of 4-6 weeks. Maybe longer. That way the tank will be well-established by the time shrimp move in and they'll have plenty of goodies to consume. Plants will also have some time to grow out and your parameters will be stable.

·
Super Moderator
15,784 Posts
Thanks! I'll search everything shrimp, and expand my knowledge even further.
That for real is a great way to get started. But also peruse some journals in the Tank Journals section here on the forum. See how other people keep the kind of shrimp you like. Check out their aquascapes, the equipment they're using, the plants you may enjoy.

Then absolutely ask questions. Because you'll have way more than you have now. They'll just be more focused at that point and you'll have a lot already planned out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts