The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my 5 gallon nano tank. I have ordered an ADA Mini-M, which will soon replace my current tank.

Specs:

Light- 27 watt 6700k desk light
CO2- Excel and DIY Co2
Substrate- Eco Complete
Fauna- Yellow Shrimp
Flora- Java Moss (Soon to be HC and Pellia in the Mini-M)
Equipment- Aquaclear 10 power head with sponge, PetCo 50W Heater

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
nice tank, i have a question because i'm just getting started with planted tanks. i have java moss the size of a golf ball. how long does it take without co2 to get it to the size that you have. thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Jjlin- Java Moss is generally a slow growing plant, but with good lighting without co2 id say it would take maybe a month. I'd say mine is about the size of a softball.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Small Update:

Now have a second yellow shrimp that looks like its filling up with eggs, surprised they haven't become berried yet.

I also just got 2 pots of HC today, going to leave it in the pots in the tank until friday when my ADA Mini-M arrives. Starting to wonder if a 27w 6700k desk lamp is going to be strong enough. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I used to keep the same lamp over the same 5g minibow, and it did just fine! It's definitely strong enough, the only thing I would say is that it doesn't cover the entire footprint of the tank, that's all. So it's best if you keep all your high-light-requiring plants toward the center, and leave the lower-light ones for the edges.

Or, what I did, is you can just raise the light up a little bit off the surface of the water, and that way the light spreads more... but it became more like high-medium lighting instead of high-lighting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply Church, always like to hear peoples suggestions.

I think Im going to stick with the light after reading your reply. Im guessing that it will be sufficient for a Mini-M as well, since its 5.5 gallons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts