The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I got this tank a couple months ago but recently decided to do a rescaping with purpose so set this up a couple weeks ago. This is my first try at aquascaping (and really my first fish tank) so criticism is VERY welcome

Equipment:
5 gallon Fluval Chi tank
Finnex 26 watt clip on light
10,000-30,000k bulb
ZooMed 501 canister filter
Tetra 15 watt heater

Flora:
Anubias Barteri 'Nana'
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Taxiphyllum barbieri
Hygrophila difformis
Cryptocoryne wendtii v. 'red'

Fauna:
Super delta betta
Zebra thorn snail
Amano shrimp
Malawa shrimp

Currently dosing Flourish once a week and Flourish Excel daily. Pictures are taken with phone, so they aren't the best atm, haha.

All the anacharis is temporary just to have something to help prevent excess algae growth while everything is new. And floating stuff is there just cause Loki likes to hide in it.

Finnex clip on light

ZooMed 501 behind the tank

I originally wanted to put driftwood where that rock in the center is but couldn't find any that I liked when I was setting this up. Luckily flood season just ended here and I was able to go hunt for some. I found this piece that I think would look good if I chopped it up a bit.

Right now I'm thinking the driftwood is my best bet to make it look a bit better because everything is so short right now compared to the height of the tank.

·
Registered
532 Posts
looking nice and i agree that it needs some hieght try the driftwood and maybe add some valisneria

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So my anacharis has been slowly melting over the past couple days (I thought it was just new plant syndrome) but this morning it was so far gone I had to pull it. Did some reading and apparently excel kills certain plants and inverts so I'm gonna start dosing every other day instead and see how that works. On the bright side the HC is starting to carpet :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Driftwood was finally ready so I added it in and took out that rock.

I'm not set on how to position it yet. Any ideas? I also have a couple more small spindly pieces I could throw in. The HC is growing, but some bits are also turning yellow. Hoping it's NTS but just in case I started dosing smaller amounts of excel daily and have the light on a timer for 8 hours a day. DIY co2 parts are also coming in the mail and should be here by wednesday. All other plants are growing very well so far.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to Diana I found a wood setup that I like and looks more natural in the scape. I'm thinking of getting some more java moss to tie around the top parts of the branches to make it look kind of windswept. Other than that it's time to just wait and let it grow in.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Going on week 5. DIY CO2 parts came in the mail yesterday so I got all of that set up this morning and got a 6700k lightbulb on it's way cause the one that came with my lamp is 30,000k. Hopefully this will help the growth of my baby tears and slow down the algae that has started to creep in. Two of my shrimp also mysteriously disappeared :confused1:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two days of co2 and the baby tears are coming back! And everything but the baby tears are pearling. Algae has begun to creep in though...I read somewhere on here that it is because of a lack of nutrients in high tech setups so I'm gonna order some dry ferts and start EI dosing. With how cheap they are I doubt it would hurt to get some anyway.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Going on week 5. DIY CO2 parts came in the mail yesterday so I got all of that set up this morning and got a 6700k lightbulb on it's way cause the one that came with my lamp is 30,000k. Hopefully this will help the growth of my baby tears and slow down the algae that has started to creep in. Two of my shrimp also mysteriously disappeared :confused1:
With the bulb I have, which is the same as the one you have (24 watts) I can say that the HC is thriving. I don't think the light is a problem. maybe you need to add some ferts. they do help the plants to look nicer and I think they also help to prevent some types of algae.

In my tank I doze Seachem Flourish Excel (2ml daily). I would suggest you try that if you are having problems with the HC. anyways with a CO2 system I think you'll bee golden.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Never mind. I noticed from the picture that you are not stranger to the excel. What is the dosage you give?

As for the algae, what type of algae are you seeing? My tank is being invaded by Green dust algae, but I read that the best way to fight that one is to let it untouched for about a month (even if the tank looks horrible) after that you clean it and it wont return again as long as you don't add plants from another place that might carry the algae and start the process all over again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never mind. I noticed from the picture that you are not stranger to the excel. What is the dosage you give?

As for the algae, what type of algae are you seeing? My tank is being invaded by Green dust algae, but I read that the best way to fight that one is to let it untouched for about a month (even if the tank looks horrible) after that you clean it and it wont return again as long as you don't add plants from another place that might carry the algae and start the process all over again.
I stopped using it once I got the DIY hooked up because it was making the shrimp go a bit loopy. I dosed 1ml daily though when I did use it. I have some kind of hair algae so I'm thinking it might be some kind of nutrient deficiency? I am going to try to post pictures later to get identification.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts