The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm taking down my mantis shrimp tank... The mantis passed away, i bought another, and i cant find the new one anywere. So i'm doing a 5 gallon cube setup. Water changes will be 50% 2 times a week.

Now i want a nice colorful single fish for this tank. NO BETTA! I have expirience with apisto's, but the maintnence would be alot more, but i know i could handle it. The tank is still sw so there is alot of room for planning. I also need to buy a filter for the tank.

I am open to suggestions besides bettas and killifish.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fancy guppies are to common for my tastes... micro rasbora would be cool, but no one out here sells them, i talked to some cichlid people and they said an apisto can be kept in a 5 gallon, but water changes must be done alot, also to provide lots of plants, and i figure if he isnt happy in there it will give me a reasonto get one of those ADA tanks the lfs has.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Dwarf puffer (pea puffers) are freshwater, they can be ornery to each other though and its reccomended to allow as much room as possible if you keep more than 1. myself i keep only one per tank and have one in a 10g and one in my 120g planted tank. very interesting fish and fun to watch, they even recognize me and will come to the front of the tank. they eat my scuds and small shrimp i guess because i never feed them anymore and they dont eat the flake food i give the other fish/shrimp. they can nip tails though that depends on each ones individual personality, i got lucky and mine dont bother any other fish at all.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Not all puffers are brackish. There are freshwater, brackish and saltwater puffers. Like dhavoc said, dp's are 100% freshwater. I have 2 of them in a Mini-Bow 7 and I absolutely love them! They have awesome personalities and always come to the front of the tank whenever I am near it. I have them in a tank with ghost shrimp and so far so good, but with puffers it is hit or miss :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
dwarf puffers a semi painful. lol The are temperamental little guys when it comes to eating. The puffer is cool, he's got character but, I love my microrasboras. I'm going to go with a school in my new tank. One dwarf puffer was enough.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i have 2 dwarf puffers and a few RCS in a 10, and so far so good.
They aren't exactly colorful, but thats what the srimp are for!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.