The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaning toward 3 Ottocats, Guppies, and Tetra. Will 1 single Guppy be happy or do they need to school? In a tank this size a Guppy is kind of a centerpiece fish, and the Tetras would make up the majority of the community.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
That tank is too small for a community. Otos need a 15g, bare minimum, and most tetras need at the very least a 10g.
Instead of guppies, try endlers. Bit smaller, so you could get 5ish. Or you could do chili rasboras, they're tiny enough for you to have half a dozen. Just keep in mind that it'll be very difficult to keep the water parameters stable.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How is it going to be hard to keep the parameters stable? This tank is actually matured, and has a Betta in it. I am moving my Betta to a new tank and passing this entire planted setup to a friend, the tank is stable, the plants have kept my nitrates non-existent over the last 6 months.

I am disappointed about the Ottos, because I have Amano shrimp and they do not clean the class. I CAN NOT keep Nerite snails alive in this tank for whatever the reason. Galaxy Rasboras look really awesome, those sound good to me! I just hate only having 1 type of fish I wish I could mix. How many Galaxy's do you recommend??

This is the tank I am speaking of, if it 8.5 gallons but with a lowered water level.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Is it a 5g or 8.5g? And, as stated, stick with a small school of nano fish (ember tetras, chili's, kubatoi's, galaxies). I was once like you, wanting all kinds of fish in my tank. You will appreciate a species tank a lot more once you have one and see the natural behavior of the fish when they don't have to deal with others.

If you want to make it a community tank, then go with 2 or 3 types of shrimp.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have two 5.5g tanks and two Spec V's and I tend to push my limits more than some would recommend. I'd suggest chilis over the galaxy rasboras and I'd add about 8 of them. The galaxy rasboras I had several years ago were quite shy and hid a lot. I'd also add one of the dwarf cories species - habrosus, hastatus or pygmaeus. I would add about 5. As an alternate to the dwarf cories, you can also look at aspidoras pauciradiatus.

I have 4 sparkling gouramis in one of my 5.5 tanks and I'm looking to add some ember tetras when I can get hold of them. I'll probably add 5-6 of them. My other 5.5 has 3 aspidoras and 3 hara jerdoni. I'll be adding some male endlers to this tank when I can find what I want.

If you have decent filtration and keep up on maintenance, it can be done.

Have you tried the bumble bee horned nerite? It's much smaller than many of the other nerites. Odd that you haven't had luck with nerites in general.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really do not do much to care for it, all I do is daily top offs and clean the glass one a week. I used to do a weekly water change/gravel vac but it really does not seem necessary. The water always tests 0 on everything including nitrates, and I run Purigen so the water is very clear.

The intimidation comes from the varying opinions, and choices. I did some research on Galaxy's and came to the same conclusion with their shy behavior. Too bad because they look the best out of all micro fish suggested imo.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Probably the betta is trying to attack the shrimp but can't catch enough to put a dent in the population, given the amount of cover.
The oto shouldn't be in there, they need more room and do best in groups. Technically you can keep them alive without those things, but it's far from ideal.

·
Registered
601 Posts
In my opinion, just because it can be done it doesn't mean it should be done. We've all seen those pictures of Oscars and Plecos in 10 gallon tanks. It can be done and it was. But should it have been?

In the long run I believe the fish will likely be healthier and happier, displaying more of their natural behaviors and colors if kept in more suitable conditions. Ottos prefer to be kept in groups and maybe the only reason that shrimp hasn't become betta food is because of the densely planted nature of the tank. The point I think a lot of others are trying to make is that while your selected fish may survive in that tank, they may not thrive and may have shorter lifespans compared to others. As far as water parameters and stability, larger volumes of water give the aquarist a chance to react to potentially harmful conditions before they become fatal to fish, whether it be high heat due to a heater malfunction or a potential ammonia spike.

Just my opinions here, but of course you're free to arrange your tank as you will. I'm partial to the suggestion to keep rasboras. Beautiful fish.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.