The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi planted tank people, this is my first post. I'm looking for a new filter for my 5 gallon planted tank. The current filter I have is a submersible filter that creates a lot of current in my tank. What would be my best option to have clear water but also reduce current?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I've had really good luck with the deep blue professional biomaxx 10 on my 5g and 3g tracks. Have a foam pre filter on them both and they are great, good adjustable flow, though I run both of mine at full with a well planted filter box they can be turned down to barely a trickle if you want though

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not sure if this is too big for you, but I really like the Marineland filters. I have one in my 55 gallon and works well. This one is smaller that I'm thinking of getting for my 10 gallon

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I'm always looking for alternates to recommending spending money. That leads me to ask if you have considered making some simple mods to create less current with your filter. Something like a foam screen around the filter area, have any value? I find I can adjust the flow with sponge most of the time.
But then for the original question, I like some of the small canister design filters like the Tom's or Zoo-med 500. They cut the intank clutter and l like to maintain that .

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've got a sunsun 603b on my 5.5 gallon. I'd say its a bit on the strong side but with the spray bar pointed at the glass it cuts the current a lot. What I did was stuff it full of media, buy another spray bar that it comes with and attached them to make it longer and that helped a lot. Nice and gentle crystal clear water!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Do you want an internal filter, or a Hang on Back? Problem with 5 gallons of tank is there's a lot room taken up with an internal filter. A small HoB would be good, it takes less internal space, something in the 40 to 70 GPH range would keep the turbulence low.

Not for me to recommend one, they all seem to have different features and price points.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a Exo Terra FX 200 turtle filter on my 5 gal. I use the sponges that came with it but added some bio media and purigen. It rated at 55 gph so current is not too strong. It has been a good filter for me. No complaints.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I use sponge filters and air driven corner filters in my 10's. Either both or one or the other. Cheap, effective, but my 10's are low light, low tech. I use canisters in my larger tanks. If you need a lot of flow, but subtle, i suggest air driven corner filters in each back corner. Just put a control valve on each airline so that you can adjust the current to what you need. A plus with the corner filters is that you can turn the output 360º. You can also hide them with plant life rather easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.