The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance for your responses as I am completely new to this.

I have a 5 gallon aquarium that I set up a few days ago and put plants in today. I was reading that the fish tank I have (Marineland ML90609 Portrait Aquarium) often does poorly growing plants with included LED lighting. I'd like to replace and I'd appreciate advice because there's so much information. I like the idea of full spectrum LED light but they seem to be too large for the tank with these dimensions: 11.8 x 11.6 x 17 inches

The plants I have set-up are:

Red Flame Sword
Golden Nesaea
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Bronze
Red Ludwigia
Moneywort
Hornwort

I don't have anything yet to address teh CO2. What's recommended for my tiny tank and these plants? I was reading about a product called Flourish Excel, is this recommended or something else?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
LED
Chihiros rgb 30 is a good lighting for the price. Also dimmable.

Flourish Excel does not give the same results as pressurized co2. If you have the money go for it. Your plants will love it. And buy a big bottle so you don't have to go very often to the store to refill. Something like 2kg is fine.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I think the Chihiros 30 might be a little wider than that tank. Check out the Asta 20. You can get it for under $50 on Amazon. It's a 6500k gooseneck pendant light. It comes with 2 different lenses to change the spread, and a built in dimmer. I have the same tank. I played around with some extra strip lights on the existing "fixture" but finally just went ahead and purchased one of these. I haven't seen a CRI number for it but it looks good to my eye.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts