The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gf gave me her old tank so Im going to get it started. I havent had a nice planted tank since my 29 cracked..... thats another story.... :( Anyways, the only filter I have is an Aquaclear 30, is this too big for the tank? Can I just put a plastic piece to disperse and smooth out the turbulence? Or should I get a little filter rated for 5-10 gal? Also are Corydoras suitable nano fish? I believe the LFS has "Panda" and "dwarf" varieties. How many could I put in here?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Stuff that thing up with media and put a prefilter on it. That thing will slow down very fast. I've never kept corries so I can't comment on that :( I've always wanted a school of corries.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Yea, attach a sponge to the input. Not only will it provide a good surface for BB, but will reduce the flow as well. There are dwarf corys like the panda, but you wouldn't want more than a couple in a tank that small unless they are the only thing in there, in which case you could go with 4 or 5 IMO. Don't forget that cory cats really should have smooth, sand-like substrates as their barbels can be injured on gravel. (Learned that the hard way)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked the filter and its the aquaclear 50, butIll block the input and see if it stirs up anything. Yeah I love seeing the schools of corys peck around at the bottom. I have eco complete substrate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.