The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 gal I would like to use as quarantine. The filter on it is an Aquaclear 50, I am reducing the flow by stuffing media in. It would be bare bottomed for ease of maintenance, but could I grow plants in pots? The reason I ask is I don't want a parasite on the plant or substrate and I don't know how I could clean them. My second option is to have driftwood and java moss but again parasites and live plants.

Also I have a free 10 gal I could use as quarantine but I would rather not. The problem with the 5 gal is if every fish in my display tank got sick then I would have 21 ember tetras in there, and the filter might be large enough but the actual space isn't.

So my questions are
Live plants?
5g or 10g?

Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would use the 10 gallon just so you could put some of the larger fish in there if they get infected (not saying you could put anything over 5 inches) and you could put more infected fish in there, it is much more reasonable and if you were to use the five gallon unless they are a few small fish you couldn't put them in there for very long.

·
Super Moderator
16,987 Posts
The 5gal will work fine for otos or just a handful of smaller critters.

As far as plants go, you could stick with things that are cheap that you aren't afraid to toss. Stick with mosses, floaters, maybe cheap ferns you find at any LFS. For the most part, the plants will probably be fun unless it's something serious. Then you could always dip them or just toss.

P.S. Plants in pots will definitely work.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
You don't need to keep the tank set up as long as you keep the filter media going. I keep the filter media for my Q tank in the canister filter of my main tank and pull it out if I need it. And depending on what fish I need to quarantine determines which of my empty tanks I use.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't need to keep the tank set up as long as you keep the filter media going. I keep the filter media for my Q tank in the canister filter of my main tank and pull it out if I need it. And depending on what fish I need to quarantine determines which of my empty tanks I use.
Good idea, but I don't know if the extra media will fit in my canister.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
I'd stick some driftwood or rocks in there and plant with mosses, ferns, and anubias. They attach themselves over time all do well with low light, and you can pull everything out for a dip if needed.

Or you can treat the entire tank with H2O2, which will kill off everything but allow new leaves to grow back.

·
Registered
200 Posts
We put our extra aquaclear filter on one of our regular tanks (that has its own filter) when the quarantine isn't up and running. Then, when we set it back up we use tank water from one of our established tanks (just like a water change for them) and move the filter back to the quarantine. No downtime/cycling time and it makes setting up the tank a breeze.

I will usually take cabomba trimmings and keep them in the quarantine for some cover and lately we've been using a small piece of driftwood. If we were medicating I'd probably leave the driftwood out but cabomba spouts are plentiful so I just toss them when the tank is broken down again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.