The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RO water is 5.5 out of the tap and I reminerlize with Salty Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ and my ph around is 5.9 and it drops to 5.3 with the co2. Is this low ph bad for the fish and plants? I have plenty of GH and a slight kh reading.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
More questions than answers:

1) How big is the tank?
2) How much GH/KH+ do you add?
3) What plants and critters do you have?
4) What is the substrate?

Ben

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) 75 Gallon
2) GH is 75ppm KH is 2
3) Loaches, hill stream loaches and tetras. Swords, Cryps and Vallisneria
4) Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum

Had the tank running for a 2 weeks and it seems ok. I calibrated my ph sensor and was surprised at how low the ph was. The tank is a rebuild of my old 75 gallon. I used a little of the old substrate and same canister filter so cycling isn't a problem. I dose EI with co2 injection. I use Salty Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ to reminerlize the water.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I think the kH is far too low and is why your pH is so low. I would aim for a kH of 50ppm or slightly higher. You will have a much more stable water chemistry!

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Baking soda: 1 teaspoon will raise kH of 30 gallons by 36ppm (roughly). You will need to add that amount to each water change. Make this change gradually so as not to be stressful to the fish.

Crushed coral can be used but I have no familiarity with it.

Ben

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Baking soda: 1 teaspoon will raise kH of 30 gallons by 36ppm (roughly). You will need to add that amount to each water change. Make this change gradually so as not to be stressful to the fish.

Crushed coral can be used but I have no familiarity with it.

Ben
Thanks

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It isn't a bad idea to raise the KH a bit with baking soda. But, the effect is to raise the pH a bit, not to increase the pH stability of the tank. KH does not stabilize the pH, once it is above zero - let's say 1 to be sure it isn't zero. Once the KH is that high the pH changes will be the same as when it is 10. I know this is counter to everything we read about KH, but it is still true.

Another reason to have a higher KH is that some plants can use carbonates as a source of carbon, driving the KH down a bit. Obviously that would be a bigger problem if the KH is very low, than if it is above 4 KH, for example.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts