The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering setting up another 5.5g planted for shrimp and micro rasboras. I had a big problem finding lighting for my current 5.5g and settled on a 24w Odyssea fixture. I would buy another one of these fixtures, but I don't want to inject CO2 into the future 5.5g if I can help it. I'd like to get by on just Excel.

My options seem rather limited, and while I don't know exactly what plants I'd like to keep, I know I don't want to be limited to low light plants. I have Elatine triandra growing very fast in my 29g, so I'd like to be able to use it as the foreground in the new tank.

I've considered the 18w Mini-Aqualight, 1x13w AH Supply kit, the 2x13w AH Supply kit and the 24w Odyssea fixture.

Does anyone know which of these (or anything else) that I could use without CO2 and not have tons of algae issues? Although I have 2 nano tanks, I'm still learning the lighting needs of a smaller tank in regards to when you need CO2 and when you can get away without it.

Fertilizing is not a problem, as I have some mixed up for my smaller tanks. I just don't have the time for DIY CO2 and usually it causes more harm than good in my experiences (since I forget to change the bottles on time...). And I don't have the money for another pressurized system for this tank.

Can anyone give me their experiences with any of these lighting choices for a ~5g tank as well as suggestions/advice?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Don't get it....I tried mine over a new 5.5g and there are dark spots throughout the tank.

I would go with the above or even the new coralife 15" 2x18. I just set up a 5.5g and I used the fluorescent hood that comes with it which is 14w and I found a nice 18w desklamp at homedepot that I retro'ed into the hood for a total of 32w.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought the Current USA 18W, but thought it looked too small on the 5.5, so I decided to put together my 2.5

I still need a light, and I really like the Current lights, but I think I want the 40W 20" single light. I just worry that it'll be too much. Then again, if 18 works over a 2.5, why not? The 5.5 is on an Excel schedule right now, but DIY CO2 is ready to go once I get the lighting.

If anyone has any thoughts, chime in!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.