The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I hope you all are doing well. As a disclaimer, it seems that every year on the internet, reccomended minimum tank sizes keep increasing for even the smallest fish (even though I know in the past there have been well-known aquarists who kept and bred fish in much smaller tanks and had bright colors/longevity for their stock as well). Please spare me any admonishment as I am just trying to brainstorm what to do with this tank.

I have a 5.5 gallon rectangular tank and I am trying to decide between making it a cherry shrimp colony (have never done shrimp before) or a Sparkling Gourami tank (6 unsexed fish to start out).

If I go with the Sparkling Gouramis, would there be any suitable tankmate options that would not eat all of the gourami fry if they were to have them? I know shrimp are out with the gouramis but could I have ramshorn snails or apple snails?

Is it possible to breed Sparkling gouramis in neutral pH or hard water?

Which option would you choose and do you have any other suggestions that would make for an interesting tank?

Appreciate any advice. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hello,

I hope you all are doing well. As a disclaimer, it seems that every year on the internet, reccomended minimum tank sizes keep increasing for even the smallest fish (even though I know in the past there have been well-known aquarists who kept and bred fish in much smaller tanks and had bright colors/longevity for their stock as well). Please spare me any admonishment as I am just trying to brainstorm what to do with this tank.

I have a 5.5 gallon rectangular tank and I am trying to decide between making it a cherry shrimp colony (have never done shrimp before) or a Sparkling Gourami tank (6 unsexed fish to start out).

If I go with the Sparkling Gouramis, would there be any suitable tankmate options that would not eat all of the gourami fry if they were to have them? I know shrimp are out with the gouramis but could I have ramshorn snails or apple snails?

Is it possible to breed Sparkling gouramis in neutral pH or hard water?

Which option would you choose and do you have any other suggestions that would make for an interesting tank?

Appreciate any advice. Thank you!
Full disclosure- I have never kept shrimp. That said I'd sooner keep a shrimp colony under the conditions you're explaining as opposed to trying to breed sparkling gourami. I've got quite a bit of experience with sparkling gourami and they do best in slightly acidic to neutral. They won't breed in alkaline conditions (from my experience, others may have different- none of mine were tank bred). I've also never kept sparkling gourami in anything less than a 15 gallon so I'm not sure how they'd be in a 5.5 gallon, though with their low bioload you could probably do a breeding pair by themselves.

*Edit- you could keep a mystery or a few ramshorn snails as well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

Searching through posts on this very site, others have been successful breeding sparkling gouramis in 2.5 gallon tanks (1 breeding pair) as well as having 27+ sparkling gouramis (adults plus juveniles colony) in 5 gallon tanks.

My fear is that they won't breed in neutral/hard water but there's very little information about this online (as in people actually having the experience of attempting it and then being unsuccessful).

Also does anyone know if Endler's or Guppies would pose enough of a threat to the potential gourami fry or would the adult fish be able to protect them?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

Searching through posts on this very site, others have been successful breeding sparkling gouramis in 2.5 gallon tanks (1 breeding pair) as well as having 27+ sparkling gouramis (adults plus juveniles colony) in 5 gallon tanks.

My fear is that they won't breed in neutral/hard water but there's very little information about this online (as in people actually having the experience of attempting it and then being unsuccessful).

Also does anyone know if Endler's or Guppies would pose enough of a threat to the potential gourami fry or would the adult fish be able to protect them?
Endlers may be small enough to not kill off the whole brood- if you can keep them from consuming the eggs is the true issue. I wouldn't suggest keeping any other fish in a spawning tank if spawning is your ultimate goal, unless you're breeding livebearers- then you'll welcome the fry being consumed 😅

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.