The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well starting a planted tank for the first time, not very good at this in past attempts, but this time I'm doing a journal so maybe I can get some advice? :help:, so in one of the pictures, you can see the future resident of my new tank and soaking my new tank w/ its sand, ornament, filter, and heater, as it used to be a salt water tank. I'm thinking I should add some add. substrate as there is not a lot of sand, I'm thinking regular topsoil on top of the sand, opinions? As for the plant, I'm going to add an Amazon sword and the member paulrw was kind enough to send me some dwarven hairgrass! :icon_smil planning on having it like a carpet, as those always looked so cool to me, as always, any additional help/advice is appreciated!:biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, i got it, i will put it under the sand, and I just started washing my topsoil, looks incredibly muddy, letting it sit for a couple days, 1 thing I haven't thought of, CO2 injection?!?!?! how necessary are those? oh yeah and the filter I have has also a very strong current, it's an elite mini like the one seen here: http://www.petco.com/product/13796/Hagen-Elite-Mini-Underwater-Filter.aspx

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
If the betta is going to be housed in a tank with that filter, then you will have to get a diffrent, filter with less flow. Good luck!

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you want to go the topsoil route, try mineralizing it. Search "mineralized topsoil" here and you'll find more details.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah, I didn't know that what it was called, but yeah, i am just washing drying, repeat, but i thought you meant buying those red clay things and sticking them in the substrate

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks, stupid question here but... Do I plant the plants first THEN add water or vice-versa? :redface:
It doesn't really matter, but most people find it easier to plant the tank before they fill it with water. When you do fill it, put something in the tank, like a bowl or small plate, to "break" the water so it doesn't stir up the substrate or ruin any slope you're trying to make.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks, stupid question here but... Do I plant the plants first THEN add water or vice-versa? :redface:
Depends on the kind of plants and your own preferences. I like to plant foreground plants either dry or with only an inch or two of water. For stem plants, I like the tank to be full to at least half the height of the stem so I can get a sense of what it looks like in the water before I stick it in the substrate. But I've planted stem plants while the tank was empty, too.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I got a start on setting it up, got a few plants in, here's what it looks like immediately after I put all the water and plants in, kinda messy job, as I didn't know what to do with the sponges the roots of the plants were in, so I just planted the sponges along with the plants, I put the airstone in front just so I could see if it is working, one question, how quick does dwarf hairgrass reproduce/multiply?

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
i would plant the hairgrass in very small clumps, in a "checkerboard" pattern, and removed the sponge from around the roots. it will take a while to fill in, but it won't spread very well in large clumps like that.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah I took off as much sponge as possible without doing too much damage to the roots, but there's still a bit on there, pulled it apart, so now there are 7 small clumps and a few strands stuck here and there

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes, yes i did lol, i changed it up a bit and will upload a more recent pic in a few hours when i get my java moss, could i tie the java moss around the ornament in the middle?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts