The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, first post here but I have used the info found on this site to start a new planted nano. I have a 15 low-tech planted tank (mosses, anubias, java fern etc) as well, but with the new 5.5 gallon I wanted something a bit more faster growing, thinking maybe a medium-tech tank. Sorry no pics yet, camara is broken, hopefully soon I'll get some up

Here are the specifics:

Tank: 5.5 AGA tank with glass top
Filter: Aquaclear 20 (turned low)
Heater: Elite 25 watt
Light: (?)
Substrate: Seachem Flourite Black Sand
Plants (so far): 1 cryptocoryne becketti
2 java fern (plantlets from 15 gallon)
java moss on bogwood(from 15 gallon)
Co2: Excel I use for 15 gallon
fish: celestial pearl danios (4)

I haven't decided on lights yet, but have looked at the Coralife Mini Aqualight (2x 9 watt) and the AGA single 14 watt 16" fixture. I was hoping to find the Home Depot 27 watt Desk lamp everybody talks about, but no luck here in canada I don't think. What should I do, short of DIY stuff which I have no time for. I have seen 60 watt lamps, but I am unsure about using lower wattage bulbs in the sockets (read here its bad).

Is 14 watts on a 5.5 gallon much better than 15 watts on a 15 gallon? What wattage would I need for my existing plants and dwarf hair grass or amazon swords? Any other medium light plants that are easy to maintain?

Also, I was told that sand is poor for rooting plants. Am I ok planting my cryptos or other plants in sand? I thought flourite sand would be good for plants but have now been told that sand is bad for plants.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I decided to go with a Hampton Bay desk lamp with a 23 watt cf bulb, which I think will work well because I can adjust the distance of the light to the substrate.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Sand is actually fantastic for crypts. It is less ideal for strong-rooting plants that like a rich substrate such as sword plants. But none of the plants you have listed will be problematic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts