The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my first 10 gallon planted tank turned out to be a failure. I'm ready to give it a second try with a smaller tank. This time I want to go low tech and learn the ropes before trying high tech again.

As of now I have a 5.5 gallon with a 14 watt light. I plan on swicthing the bulb to either 6500k or 10,000k. For a filter I plan on using a Wisper 10.

Plants are gonna be some Cryps, Moss, and Bacopia.

I was also gonna pick up some Excell and Flourish.

For the substrate I have some Flourite but I dont like the way it looks. I was gonna put 2 inches of Flourite in the bottom and cover it with sand. Would this be ok to do?

My last question is: Is it possible to have a sucsessfully planted tank with this set up?

Any comments or sugestions welcome

·
Registered
87 Posts
it's true that mixing sand and flourite will not achive the desired result of sand only on top, good plant substrate underneath. however, i like the look of a flourite/sand mix. i have that setup in a 5.5 gallon tank. i put down the flourite first, then added a layer of sand on top. it gets mixed in eventually, depending on how much you disturb everything but this is the look that i wanted. if you add in equal parts flourite and sand, you will always get at least some sand on the surface. i wanted this, with a light colored sand especially, to have more light reflecting/bouncing around in there since it's a low-light tank to begin with.

i also use that same 14 watt fixture with the stock bulb. love it. i add no co2. i may have buried a single flourish root tab when i first set up the tank. my bolbitis fern which is attached to a piece of driftwood owns the tank. also doing well in the tank are crypt parva and anubias nana. there is no algae whatsoever.

i don't use the regular canopy with the light-blocking dark hinge though. i got a single piece of glass cut at the glass shop for 10 bucks. it's beautiful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.