The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won a RAOK not too long ago and had plans for it but due to the holidays i never got to do what i wanted. Since then i had a few ideas, this was what i thought would be best. I had a spare 5.5 gallon tank laying around collecting dust and a really cool piece of driftwood that just didnt look right in my other larger tanks..... the 2 together are perfect !
I like the look of simple tanks so i decided im not going to overcrowd this tank, a simple "tree" like focal point will be the only thing in this tank.
I started by mixing the Fissiden with some tank water and placed them together in a food blender, mixed it for a few mins and then literally placed it on the driftwood and pressed down. I then sprayed , again with tank water and covered with saran wrap. I did have a little leftover so i decided to put the rest on a rock and then move the rock at a later date to another tank. The light im using is a 48" T8 fixture which is kept under my 125 gallon, growing HC & Glosso so the light is long enough to cover both tanks. I will keep this journal updated on a weekly basis to cover the growth progress.

5.5 gallon all glass aquarium
pool filter sand
driftwood
fissiden fontanus
48" T8 light fixture

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like the idea. Any thoughts on livestock?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any plans for livestock at the moment , it's more an experiment and keeping the fissiden alive right now. It will probably turn out to be a endlers fry grow up tank or cherry shrimp tank.
I've heard mixed reviews about it anchoring to porous stone and some wood. I figured I would try it and see . I only used half the portion I recieved so no biggie if it doesn't work. I thought by starting a journal it would show others it either can or cannot be done .

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the fissiden has anchored ! At 1st everytime i sprayed, little bits would come off but after only a few days it stopped . The picture doesnt do it justice but up close you can see tiny new fresh green growth. I didnt expect it to start so quickly, maybe in 2 months i will have a tree !

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update (4 weeks)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - 5 weeks

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, i think Fiss is my favourite now !
I wish i had your touch on this plant though.... that Tree would be exploding with growth ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.