The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I started on my first planted tank and I wanted to share it with you guys! I'm hoping you will have pointers and suggestions for how to improve as I go along. It's still a work in progress, but I think it looks pretty good so far. I need to get more plants as you can see. I just got it set up on Saturday, so I don't have livestock in there yet. I am planning to move my female betta into it and I would like to get a nerite snail as well.

Water Vertebrate Light Pet supply Organism

I'm hoping you guys will have suggestions for two stem plants that will go well together that I can put behind the treehouse. I like the look of the hygrophelia, but I'm not sure which version would be best for my set up. And I'm hoping I can get another kind of plant that will look good with it. Or is there is there a different stem plant you'd recommend? I want to keep this low tech, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to grow medium light plants with the light I have. I am going for a jungle look.

World Light Water Plant Wood

Parameters:
Temp: 79
pH: 7.4
kH: 3
gH: 8
I haven't started dosing ferts yet, but I'll be using the shrimp-safe Thrive all-in-one liquid. There are a couple of Flourish tabs under the val. Once I use up that package, I'm going to switch to the NilocG capsules.

Hardware
5.5 gallon Aqueon rimless tank and lid
Hygger 14W 24/7 light
Hygger Mini 50W heater
Marina S10 filter

Hardscape
Fluorite Red and basic Petco blue gravel
I honestly don't know what kind of rocks are lining the river feature. I found them at my LFS and they were the perfect size and color. I did test to make sure they don't change my parameters though.
I think the wood is manzanita, but I'm not sure about that either.
PetSmart treehouse decoration

Water Plant Blue Fish supply Pet supply

Plants so far:
Vallisenaria contortionist
Anubias nana petite

I also have an anubias coffeefolia that I will be putting on the middle of driftwood, but it's still in the old tank. I'm probably going to wait until I'm ready to move my betta to the new tank before I put it in, since uses it a lot.

My thoughts for more plants: I want to get a lighter petite anubias to go above the dark ones already on the driftwood. I would like to put a buce wavy green on the left side of the treehouse decoration at the front. I'm going to be putting some Christmas moss along the straight portion of the driftwood. And, of course, stem plants for behind the treehouse.

Let me know what you think! And if you have suggestions for stem plants to go behind the treehouse!

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
408 Posts
Hygprophila Pinnatifda
Hygrophila Corymbosa

Some can get pretty big. these two aren't huge and are fairly hardy from what I know. Corymbosa might be too much real-estate for behind something though. I haven't had a lot of luck with stem plants personally. So I have stayed away from a lot of them recently. They just don't grow that well for me and I haven't gone in to research why yet.

Edit, I was curious, there are a lot of Corymbosa. You can probably search the forum for "Jungle tank" or scapes and find a few you like.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hygprophila Pinnatifda
Hygrophila Corymbosa

Some can get pretty big. these two aren't huge and are fairly hardy from what I know. Corymbosa might be too much real-estate for behind something though. I haven't had a lot of luck with stem plants personally. So I have stayed away from a lot of them recently. They just don't grow that well for me and I haven't gone in to research why yet.

Edit, I was curious, there are a lot of Corymbosa. You can probably search the forum for "Jungle tank" or scapes and find a few you like.
Thanks, @Aaronious ! I will search around some more for the scapes! I looked at some pictures of those two and I do like the look of the leaves! I'll do a little more searching to see if the corymbosa is going to fit well. I appreciate the suggestions!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My plants arrived and my tank is all planted! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I would love to hear feedback on the scaping. If anyone has pointers for how it could be improved or what I should look out for next time I would love to hear them!

Water Vertebrate Plant Light Purple

After doing a little looking around and researching, I decided to go with hygrophilia compact and ludwigia sp. atlantis for the stem plants. I really liked the look of the hygro pinnatifda, but it seemed like most of the people who grow it successfully use CO2, and I was hoping for something a bit easier for my first time. I may try CO2 in the future, but I'm not planning to do it for this tank.

I did go with the bucephelandra wavy green, and the Aquarium Plant Factory had some anubias nana super petite snow white on sale, so I grab some of those too. Everything was buy two get one free, so I ended up with quite a few plants in the tank. Hopefully I didn't over plant it. It did not leave much room for replanting trimmings, but my LFS has already said they would love to get just about anything I don't have room for, so I'm not too worried.

Plant World Purple Water Branch

The full plant list is:

Anubias coffeefolia,
anubias nana petite
anubias super petite "snow white"
Christmas moss
Valisneria contortionist
marimo moss balls
bucephalandra wavy green
hygrophilia compact
Ludwigia sp. Atlantis

Flower Plant Blue Purple Botany

I'm going to give the plants a little more time to settle in, then I want to pick up a nerite snail and a betta. Unfortunately, the betta I was planning to put in here died this week, so I'll be looking around for another one in the next couple of weeks. Maybe I'll have enough new growth on some of the plants to get a little store credit to use towards one.

That's all for tonight. Let me know what you think, and any tips you have for the future! Thanks for reading!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts