The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many months ago my son wanted a tank for a dwarf puffer in his room, so I got him this 5.5 gal tank. The DP died recently from unknown causes so I took the opportunity to rescape it. The last scape was just too scattered with random plants shoved in over several months and no real hardscape. The idea was mine, but my son did help tear down the old tank and get it clean again. The flora is mostly crypts, 3 Blyxa japonica, 1 anubias and 1 fern. Once the tank cycles, I'll add some cherry shrimp and start looking for another DP. Here's some pics just after we finished filling it back up.

FTS

Side

Top - the back row of crypts will eventually grow to the top of the tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Won't the puffer eat the shrimp? I know they eat snails. Anyway the layout looks really nice once it grows in and the filter isn't so visible you should have a really nice tank for your son.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Let me know if you find any DPs nearby you. I'll totally drive up there to get one, since I've never EVER found any in Tampa.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Won't the puffer eat the shrimp? I know they eat snails. Anyway the layout looks really nice once it grows in and the filter isn't so visible you should have a really nice tank for your son.
Yes, I'm sure the puffer does eat some of the juvies. Feeding the puffer is my son's responsibility and the shrimp are my backup plan to any missed meals.

Let me know if you find any DPs nearby you. I'll totally drive up there to get one, since I've never EVER found any in Tampa.
I only see them about 3-4 times per year. The LFS brings in about a dozen each time and they are usually gone by the end of the week. I travel to Lakeland frequently and have seen them at Nolan's Aquarium Store from time to time.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
^ Awesome, my girlfriend's dad lives in Bartow and I drive out that way quite frequently. I'll have to give them a call. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
i have been looking for a DP forever since I started up my tank here in houston. Never found one. Whats funny is when I went to school in the little town of Lubbock, they always had DP's in the local walmart. Yea walmart. Too bad I never wanted one when I was up there. The walmart even had kribs, those angel/ram hybrids, and some other rare finds. It was better than the local fish stores.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I swear, if someone here on these forums would just start breeding them, they would be rich in no time. Hell, if I had a dollar for every time I see people (myself included) posting about how they want DP's but can't find them anywhere, I'd be rich.

What ever happened to the "supply" part of "supply and demand?" :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
I see them alot when I'm in Georgia with my mom at walmart and like a lot of pet stores. Also I saw some at Big Als a few months ago, and some at Petsupermarket today. If you want, I can try to breed them and sell them to you xD

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
From what I understand, it's just luck of the draw. Or at least, no one seems to be able to put their finger on exactly what conditions cause them to spawn. Most people who've successfully bred them seem to agree that it was a surprise, but that once they start breeding in said tank they don't stop.

So, that's somewhat promising, right?

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I added a small slope to this tank several weeks ago using some extra gravel that has been in my storage unit for about a year. I noticed this small leaf sticking up and have continuously passed it off as some Blyxa that got pushed down when I added the extra gravel. Today, I got my tweezers and decided to "fix" the leaves that were stuck. It turns out that this is new growth from some unknown plant. I'm amazed anything survived that long in the FL heat. My first guess is some type of crypt as they can go dormant in dry conditions. I'm going to let this grow for a little while in this tank until it gets big enough to id.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts