The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at starting a nano tank for experience in smaller planted setups, I've been looking around and noticed this weird filter, has anyone tried this or know about it http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/23234/product.web
or does anyone have any other suggestions for equipment for a nano tank? Thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The Tom Rapids filter is not that good. I've had one, and it was a let down. There is a way to modify it, so the flow rate increases, but I'm not sure what it is (google how to, maybe). The filter is really only good for biological filteration if you load it up with ceramic rings but the little carbon sponge blows. I'd save the money from buying it and wait a couple weeks for another pay cheque and upgrage to an eheim or something. Maybe even the Zoomed 501 might be better, as long as you keep it level with the tank (ie, behind the tank), as the pump is not strong enough to pump water up from below, if you were to store the filter in a cabinet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i saw the other thread i wanted faster answers and to know about the tom rapids, is the flow rate the only problem with it, i was looking for a mini canister if possible, im not a fan of HOB's unless its superb. I checked out the 501 and if its a canister i want it underneath :/

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The whole filter is just a pain in the ass out of the box. The hosing that comes with it is a waist of plastic. I don't even know why they include it. Its horrible. Its so unflexible and the fact it is ribbed greatly increases the friction of water over it, in turn, decreasing flow. Also, the flow meter thing in itself decreases flow (there is a way to take it out though, but like I said, you'll have to google how to). Also, the little priming cap that you take on and off when filling with water is redics difficult to remove. Also, it too, is not strong enough to pump water up from below, if it was to be placed in a cabinet.
Your best bet would be to save up and get an Eheim Ecco or something.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I've been looking at Eheim's it seems to be what most ppl use for nano shrimp tanks when not using a HOB, i was looking at the classics. Thanks a bunch :) Anything else ya'll? Or what does everyone else use?
P.S. For anyone who uses a Azoo Palm, is there a good site where i can order a sponge pre-filter that would fit on it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts