1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
688 Posts
I think you will have significantly more light. I am running 12 XP-G's on a 29, and I have them dimmed down about 30% below their maximum (running at <1 A, rated for 1.3 A). Even when run at 1 A, the LED's are a good bit brighter than the 2x24W T5HO fixture I replaced.

I highly recommend dimmeable drivers, as it will give you a lot more control of your light level. It bumps up the price some but well worth it. 24 XP-G's is going to give you a LOT of light in that tank, and the fixture will need to be raised up at least 3 ft or so to not have a ridiculous amount of light.

I also recommend optics as well, they really help get the light where you want it.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
that's almost exactly my light set up. You don't need to get 2 heatsinks though. See if you can get the wider 5.5 inch heat sink and just do 2 rows on that heatsink.

I ran 24 of the same LEDs with the same driver. The issue is that the spread is very wide so a lot of the light hit the glass, giving me a ridiculous amount of green dust algae on the glass, I had to clean it daily!

I recently changed it up and it's much better. I put 60 degree optics on all the LEDs and change my drivers to the dimmable drivers. Now I have the light focused straight down into the tank and I can control the level of light intensity.

As for light levels, with that many LEDs you can easily match a 6 bulb fixture or more.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont really plan on raising the light up 3ft even though it already is on a hanging system. So i guess i should just use dimmable drivers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.