The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway that 4dKH drop checker solution can go bad. I have had this bottle since last summer it came with my red sea drop checker. I moved my fish tank a few weeks ago and left the drop checker at my parents for a few weeks and ever since i have moved back it seems that the solution is off it is telling me i have no co2 in my tank even when the fish show stress from me turning up the co2. I am not sure if it had anything to do with my plants slowing down growth too or that could just be from them becoming accustomed to the new water parameters? I know co2 is getting into the tank bc i have the line hooked up to a power head and there is mist going everywhere. Anyone have any info for me?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Red Sea drop checkers come with the pH reagent, but not 4 dKH water, to the best of my knowledge. A pH reagent is an organic dye, so it has a limited life, and could "go bad". A bottle of 4 dKH water, if not sealed tightly, will partly evaporate, making the remaining water be a higher KH than 4 dKH. You can make your own 4 dKH water accurate enough for use in a drop checker, but the pH reagent you have to buy, and API's is the right kind.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks you i just ordered some one red sea indicator solution so hopefully that fixes the problem

1 - 3 of 3 Posts