The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if 24/7 mode works in a planted tank with a 24" depth (more like 22" with substrate depth)?
I quite like the 24/7 mode, but want what's best for the new plants!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
That should be good enough at that depth. just by guestimating. Most plants do better in lower light than most people think

·
Registered
618 Posts
That should be good enough at that depth. just by guestimating. Most plants do better in lower light than most people think
so would you say with a bright light like a finnex ray2 over a 40g breeder having it on for a time frame of 9 hours is better then 12?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Way better, cut it to 5-8 hrs
Even if I just newly planted DHG belem...I am trying to get a carpet of it going.. I do have co2 and dry ferts with the occasional drops of excel .. but i just want to make sure that be enough of a photo period

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank-you for the feedback. 24/7 mode might maintain the plants well down the road, but I think I need to give these new plants a bit of a boost. The timer comes on a 6am. I think around 12pm or 1pm, I'll switch to max mode, then back to 24/7 at 6pm. Between root tabs and Flourish Comprehensive I think there's plenty of ferts and the extra light might give a good kick start...but I'll be watching to see if this is trouble. Obviously plants can't grow without light, but with the possible exception of algae issues, is there such a thing as too much light? How do you tell if a plant is getting too much light?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking that with this light and my 24" depth, melt/burn is less likely, but I'll be on the lookout. I could leave it in 24/7 mode, but just want to give the plants a kick start.

They can melt and burn plants.

other than that, what you stated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts