The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I have 1, I love it. It's really not rated for a large, strong filter. If you plan on putting it on a strong filter you will have to either shave, or sand the teeth or break a couple off to let the water flow through better, and prevent the skimmer from getting sucked down. I know it's adjustable depending on flow, but I've had issues with a larger filters.

I took my 2 off my 2026s, and put 1 on 2213, and it works great with that amount of flow.

Does a great job for keeping off surface scum.
I wish they made one for a stronger filter.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Orlando, petmountain.com has that same item for half that price.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...rprise-surface-skimmer-with-flow-control.html
you'll need some intermediary plastic tubing to adapt it to your XP3.
this item is bulky, so I would not use it in anything smaller than 55gal.
if you use a lot of floating food you'll need to keep turning it off.
I agree with Taz, they should have designed it so you could put
on any round 3/4" inlet strainer you like.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Her tank I believe is 75 gallons, I went to her house and she had this
haze on the surface, kinda like an oil or silvery white. Im not sure what it is
but I told her to count her fish and she was a little short. So I figure its proteins from dead fish scum. Thanks spypet good stuff.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The surface film can be from anything, not just dead fish. It usually happens on newer tanks and will go away with time in most cases.

I have used this item on an XP3 in the past. It works fine. You have to find a way to connect it to the hard plastic intake Rena uses however. In my case, I cut one of the intake extensions about in half and it fit right on.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Blue ram once wrote that he used one with a powerhead. It just pulled the suface stuff back down into the tank and kept the top clean. That way you don't have to mess with your filter and issues associated. I used one with a filter for a while. Worked fine but is ugly and takes up a bit of real estate. With the power head, its a little more easy to hide behind plants.

I don't need one now because the autowater change sprays the surface well once a week on one tank and everynight on another. For some reason, my two smaller lightly stocked tanks are staying relatively clear, but they are lower light too.

I personally think surface scum is more related to decaying plant matter than anything else. BTW, that is a pretty high price. Big als use to sell them for about $8.00

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the one from Big Al's. Have a 75G, using an XP3, and was having a terrible problem with surface scum. Hooked it up to XP3 with enclosed tubing. Not exactly invisible, but not offensive in tank. Works like a champ. No more surface scum.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have 1, I love it. It's really not rated for a large, strong filter. If you plan on putting it on a strong filter you will have to either shave, or sand the teeth or break a couple off to let the water flow through better, and prevent the skimmer from getting sucked down. I know it's adjustable depending on flow, but I've had issues with a larger filters.

I took my 2 off my 2026s, and put 1 on 2213, and it works great with that amount of flow.

Does a great job for keeping off surface scum.
I wish they made one for a stronger filter.
I have the same item on order and am glad to hear that it works well. I have an Eheim 2224 and it has 1/2 hose just like your 2213. Did you need special adapters to fit the new intake to the Eheim hose?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just hooked up the Fluval skimmer I ordered and it works great. It took me two minutes to hook up to my Eheim filter and within twenty minutes the surface of my 29 gallon tank was crystal clear. I was wondering how others felt about running it all the time. It causes a slight movement of the water surface and I am concerned I might be losing CO2. What do you guys think? Should the surface be completely still?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I just hooked up the Fluval skimmer I ordered and it works great. It took me two minutes to hook up to my Eheim filter and within twenty minutes the surface of my 29 gallon tank was crystal clear. I was wondering how others felt about running it all the time. It causes a slight movement of the water surface and I am concerned I might be losing CO2. What do you guys think? Should the surface be completely still?
No, a little surface agitation can only be beneficial. CO2 loss is not a concern.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Agreed, I have a continuous couple of small waves rolling out of my spraybar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts