The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I set this up a few months back and now almost every aquatic plant has faded. The plants in the below pic are dwarf hairgrass, java fern and red ludwigia. Only a small amount of ludwigia remains.

The substrate is fluorite and the lighting is 96 watts cf. What I believed happend is since the schleffera up top grew towards the front of tank, it blocked too much light from the bottom.

Can any one recommend any low lights plants that would get the aquatic section looking lush?

Thanks!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Do you have any more pics ? I don't have any plant suggestions really but maybe crypts and anubias like yoink said

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Anubias for sure....some crypts and some mosses...java or christmas moss. I love the shef on top...That is probably your issue, so rather than get rid of that you are changing the submersed section...I agree. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I went out and bought some anubias today (3 pots at $8 a pot) and attached them to small pieces of driftwood. Depending on how it does, I may add more.

Here's some more up to date pics. It's really grown in since the first set up. The schleffera's roots are all over the tank. I have to give 'em a hair cut every few weeks. You can also see some of the tillandsia had to be taken out. They were too wet and then too shaded.

With the anubias

The top half

Bird's eye view

Orchid

Bonus pic! One of my day geckos loungin' while I was taking pictures.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
HOW DO YOU GET THE GECKOS TO STAY IN THERE?
i would think they would be out in a NY minute if they had a chance while you were scaping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dufus, they're in a different terarrium. Sorry if that was confusing!

I've got some tiny nocturnal reed frogs in the top. Makes doing the water changes during the day very easy. I considered darts, but as some of you know thumbnail frogs are ninjas... one blink and those speed demons are gone.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Looks great I think that you'll really like those anubias in there. I have some nice crypts in mine to go with them. and some hair grass. You can also attach the anubias so that they are coming out of the water.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dufus, they're in a different terarrium. Sorry if that was confusing!

I've got some tiny nocturnal reed frogs in the top. Makes doing the water changes during the day very easy. I considered darts, but as some of you know thumbnail frogs are ninjas... one blink and those speed demons are gone.
I don't know... In my very short (week and a half) experience with thumbnails, I can open the door for as long as I want, do maintenenence, scaping, feeding, whatever-- and the darts show no interest in escaping. Escaping my clumsy hand, maybe, but not from the viv.

Nive paludarium, by the way.

-Nate

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
the tank looks great, and I freaking love your gecko~

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ICLP it is! Thank you for the compliments... there were many not so great tanks built that led to this one. And sorry it took so long to reply. I've been reading almost every post on this forum getting ready for the big planted tank.

Studdly, the schleffera are planted into plastic containers foamed into the background. I poked tons of holes in them and used Miracle gro organic mixed with orchid bark. The Miracle gro by itself turns in a thick mud. Schleffera does great in my terrariums... it loves wet roots.

Nellis, be careful, they are quick!!

Tundra, as far as growing anubias emersed, that is a great tip. I have another terrarium with a water feature that would work very well in!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's a Giant Day Gecko (Phelsuma m. grandis). They're not too hard to find. i got mine at a herp show in PA.

You also always try the classifieds on kingsnake.com.

They are very amusing to keep around and pretty bold!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts