• it's alright

Votes: 14 66.7%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
46gal bowfront started 1 year ago.

Driftwood and a fake palmtree my husband wanted. :) With live plants, not overbearing the tank though. Cannister filter, no CO2, 96wat 6700 compact, and just added tablet ferts for the first time.

Fish as follows:

1 Kribensis
1 Bolivian Ram (although sold as a Gold Ram, so please correct me if wrong)
3 otos
1 ADF (have had the longest of all fish..almost a year)
6 xray tetras
1 Opaline Gourami (just added)
1 Gold Gourami (just added)

The next plan is either add a couple more of the Gourami's, and/or a Blue German Ram, and definitely a small Angel the very last.

Hopefully that isn't too much!

Thanks for viewing!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, didn't realize you wouldn't be able to open. I've never been to photobycket before. I will try there.

I talked to a couple people either online or LFS and said the Gourami and Angel would be fine. So which would be getting picked on? the angel?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No one likes my blue gravel? actually that was my kids choice. I wanted black..so before, when I first set it up, it looked pretty cool, black on most the whole thing with blue around the palm trees to look like an "ocean". But, after many gravel cleanings, that blue gravel mixed in everywhere.

oh well.

I would have done the other stuff, the natural stuff, if I had researched first.

The plants.. well, I really don't care for the tanks that are overwhelmed with plants, so I'm trying to do a little less, but I do think I still need more also. Plus I need to get the right "chemistry" going so that they will grow. They are just living, and not so much growing right now.

Moneywart,
diandra
contortian val
java fern
couple banana plants for the kids
anubias nana
a sword plant, 2 others, and couple grass like (LFS didn't know what they were)

So James, you think adding "mates" to the ram and krib wouldn't cause to much problems? I know they can get much more aggressive when mating. However, I LOVE how the Kribs look.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
If they have there only places to go then it should be fine. I heard people have 2 breeding pairs in their 30g tank with no aggresion. But then again you do have the two continent mix. I would suggest try it and see how it works out the first week and if signs of problems remove it. Also you gouramis may be a little aggressive towards the breeding pair but they should hold thier own.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing I've noticed, is that since I added the Gouramis, the cichlids have been moving around the tank more...the middle that is. Before they kept to the gravel basically. However, I'm still trying to get them to come up to the surface to eat. They'll only take the frozen stuff I put in that sinks to the bottom.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I said I hate it. Not being mean or anything, but that tank has a lot of potential. I would suggest changing the gravel color, taking out the fake palm tree, add some hardscape like rocks and get more plants.

But, it looks like this is a family tank, so dont make your kids mad by taking out all the blue!

Do waht you want, just trying to help.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow organic...so harsh! ;)

the tank would probably look totally diff if it was just MINE. It actually looked worse from all the other fake plastic crap in there and I left only one..the one my hubby picked out. He actually hates all the plants in there, and I probably have half as many as the people on here have!

Should I go with more taller plants? Part of my reason for not having so many, was so I could still syphon the gravel, how do people do that without messing everything up?

James, ya, I didn't realize the continent mix till later. was more focused on the passiveness or other info on the fish, and not on it's origin.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh, and James,

I thought it was weird. The Krib was added later, after the Ram, but at some point before that the Ram had gotten an infection from another fish and it's eye was all cloudy, but it looks like it healed but I think he's blind in that eye, or maybe a little on both. Anyways, when I first put the Krib in there she kinda harrassed the Ram, or so I thought, even thought maybe she nipped his fin but not quite sure cause it hasn't happened again, and maybe the Ram had fin rot too, not sure.

Well, they are most of the time together, even though the Ram seems a little scared of her, but will still swim nearby. it's kinda like they're friends or something, but she's the domineering wife, and he the timid husband.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually picked out this cool red looking fake coral thing, but after putting it in the tank, I realized it would just take away from the colors of the fish, so now it's on the shelves below the tank, along with some other fake stuff that was picked out.

I would LOVE to take out the palm trees, but oh well. I can live.

I will probably leave the fish how they are, for now anyways based on everyones opinions. However, maybe I will get more of the tetras. I am hesitant, because I think one of them was sick when I bought it and that's how the Ram got "infected", and I also think that's how my e-nose died as well. Of course, you can never be certain.

I ended up euthinizing that sickly tetra (think it really could have had that disease turbuculosis where the spine curves and stuff) and I haven't had any problems since then. I remember when I got the tetras, there was one in the tank that's spine was bent so bad it swam really weird, but I thought it was just a deformity, not due to disease. I'll know better next time!

How many more x-ray tetras should I get? I have 2 of the whitish yellow see thru ones, and 4 of the black seethru ones. I did have 5 of each to start.

On the plants. I'm not sure what else I should add. I'm doing a lower light setup. 2 wats per gal. Are there any ground covering things that are low light. I know java moss, but I was looking more for the gravel area.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the fake coral isn't in the tank. It's on the shelves below. I think it looks cool there, and goes with the aquarium thing.

That's alright about the foreground. I'll do some researching.

I wish I could start all over, but that would be SUCH a major pain, and with my back, I really can't do a lot. Just doing water changes is a major deal for me.

Thanks for all your help though!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.