The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

for those that have a 46G or any bowfront for that matter - what have you done for a hood? did u just buy one or did u custom make one??

i ask as i have the supplied plastic one and i have upgraded the lights to PC's but i am restricted to the positioning due to the hood itself so i wanted to see what others have done.

some pics would be great BTW!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I don't have the tank anymore, but I went with the 36" freshwater aqualight with the standard hood. It came out to a little over 3 watts per gallon and was great!

Tina

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 36" coral life 96w standing on legs. Open top. I like it better than the glass cover. I have a blue LED that turns on at night, haven't had a fish jump out yet.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a 72g Bow, and I built my own. It is partially covered ( front ) and uncovered in the back ( w/ light fixture over top )

I will post a pic tonight when I get home

·
Banned
393 Posts
Honestly the 46G Bow-Front's have to be the hardest tanks to find Canopies for.

I still haven't decided whether I'm going to build my own or pay the $700.00 for a stand/canopy that will let me do my own lighting.

Currently I'm using the All-Glass VersaTop with CurrentUSA 1x96W Light and the original light sitting up front with a bulb in it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have the original moulded plastic hood that came with the tank but it is very restrictive for aftermarket lights i think i will take a dremel to it next week and try make it a bit better.....

or ill ask my friend to make a hood for me from waterproof ply.

thanks for all the replies guys it really is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I have two of these tanks, both with a glass canopy and lights either on legs or directly above the glass. I haven't set them up yet though. I think I must have about 700 gallons worth of EMPTY fishtanks. :(

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi
I just put up some pictures of my 46 gallon bow front canopy
www.picturetrail.com
member name buckeyemolded

This has 4 36" bulbs in it that are ODNO.
also two ice cap fans and two cold cathode tubes.
ballasts wired on the outside/top
Robert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts