The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after moving across the country I'm finally getting settled in to where I can start putting together a tank. I found this perfect condition Oceanic 46g bowfront setup on craigslist and stuffed it into my truck. I really like the height it provides. I've always had shallow tanks in the past. I'm going to try and use all that vertical height to create an overgrown jungle look..

For equipment so far:

Eheim pro 3e and the recommended media. I figure that size filter should allow me to be plenty lazy in maintenance. :hihi: I'm also excited to try the wave making function. Hopefully that coupled with the high flow rate will allow me to skip adding a powerhead to assist in good circulation.
Hydor 200w ETH which was a left over.
Current sundial 4x24w T5HO which is another left over, but only 24" long.. I'm hoping that helps create the jungle look, forcing plants to grow up and towards the center, giving a tree canopy feeling. I also have the stock full length T8 fixture which I can put up front to help fill out the lighting and keep fish from being shadowed against the front glass.
Azoo regulator w/ swag valve but no CO2 cylinder yet. And no diffusion method yet. I'm going to wait on the cylinder until I see how much room I have under the stand with the fat eheim in there. I'm considering an inline diffuser. Any feedback on those?

To do:

Get the substrate out. It's a nice mix of natural colored sand and small grain gravel. I could see myself using it, I'm just hesitant to use someone's old substrate. You never know what could be hiding in there. I'm torn between a black sand or a light colored sand.
Remove ugly blue stickon background. It's got a black backside, so I'll probably just flip it around and skip the hassle of painting the back glass. It's just a bit glossy for my liking, but hopefully the tank will fill in to the point you won't see it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I couldn't resist. I'll be the guinea pig here... I got a G6 :icon_twis

One part because the Eheim 3e is a monster and doesn't really fit in the stand. (It does, but only dead center where the tank bows and has maximum floorspace.) And one part because I just think the Fluval G flat out cool. They now get to battle it out to see who has a home here.

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised just from opening the box. They include all media (the Eheim 3e took almost $100 of media to fill as recommended) and the fittings are really nice. The outlet splits into two jets, and they include mini spray bars. I can see some nice possibilities for flow with this. The intake is telescoping, and the actual strainer is on a loc-line fitting so it can be vertical, horizontal, or in between. Best of all, everything is BLACK!

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
I think you're REALLY going to like the G6 from a maintenance standpoint... I mean, how much easier can it get... just get extra cartridges and swap them... like 10 second media change.... sweet! I got rid of my 46B... wasn't nearly as nice as yours, but I miss it.. yours looks GREAT!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I think you're REALLY going to like the G6 from a maintenance standpoint... I mean, how much easier can it get... just get extra cartridges and swap them... like 10 second media change.... sweet!
That's actually the reason I would never consider that filter...those cartridges are outrageously priced. The filter is cool, but those cartridges, man!

This will be fun to watch.

Subscribed!

·
Registered
632 Posts
That's actually the reason I would never consider that filter...those cartridges are outrageously priced. The filter is cool, but those cartridges, man!

This will be fun to watch.

Subscribed!

well you can still take them out, change out the media/clean them out and put them back in... with the original cartridge... it would just take you 5 min instead of 5 seconds. :)

But I know what you mean.... they are expensive to begin, and the accessories/replacements are $$$$ too....

·
Registered
885 Posts
You just sold me on it right there! That's awesome! Why did it take so long for filter manufacturers to realize that green and turquoise are NOT the best colors to have on display at the back of the tank?

Anyway, subscribed.

one of the reasons i love my sun sun canister, its nothing but a marineland c series knock off, but its got black bars.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are a couple quick pics of the G6, showing it's insides.

Seems like a decent setup. You have 3 stackable baskets to fill with bio media. (media provided) The two easily accessible cylinders house whatever modules you want. Included cylinders are a pleated filter for mechanical filtration, and an empty module for chemical filtration. (they include carbon) It's well thought out, all the pieces only fit together the correct way, and are clearly marked on top of that. All the levers are firm and feel solid, seems like a well built filter so far.

I'll share more once I get some time to really get into it. Next up will be the nice intake and outlet stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I have to admit that filter is jabbing at my techy side, it looks awesome. But I still want to hate on it for being so expensive, and I'm always expecting pretty packages to be all eye candy and no juice. I wanna know how the build is, are the tube connections the same flimsy plastic that other filters have? How is the flow? Can you program changes in flow or is it just a digital planner with flow and temp sensors? This filter would be bad*** on a SW tank if you could program continuous flow changes. I haven't read the specs yet but I doubt this thing does much more than a $1 thermometer and notepad does while making it look hella cool with beep noises, can't wait to see what comes out in the next 10 years. Does it keep a log? If it does then it would be really great for maintenance guys, like Orlando was mentioning. Subscribed.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have to admit that filter is jabbing at my techy side, it looks awesome. But I still want to hate on it for being so expensive, and I'm always expecting pretty packages to be all eye candy and no juice. I wanna know how the build is, are the tube connections the same flimsy plastic that other filters have? How is the flow? Can you program changes in flow or is it just a digital planner with flow and temp sensors? This filter would be bad*** on a SW tank if you could program continuous flow changes. I haven't read the specs yet but I doubt this thing does much more than a $1 thermometer and notepad does while make it look hella cool with beep noises, can't wait to see what comes out in the next 10 years. Does is keep a log? If it does then it would be really great for maintenance guys, like Orlando was mentioning. Subscribed.

Some of the bells and whistles on this thing are just for kicks I think, but it actually has some really cool things going on with it. I had a pretty thorough demonstration at my LFS, and it seems pretty legit. The flow meter is cool in itself as you can see how much flow is left.

I do not believe the flow is programmable.

The quick change of the cartridges is a great feature IMHO... they seem powerful.. the fittings and hardware seem sturdy, although not MUCH better than the cheap stuff you usually see. The innards are really ergonomic, and it's all really well thought out how the water is routed through the machine and back out. It is nice to have the readout all in one spot too...

You are right, some of the stuff you could accomplish with a $1 thermometer and a note pad, but there really are some very useful and cool features with this thing.

$450? Not sure I'd go for all that, but heck, you pay that kind of money for a FX5 loaded up, and supposedly you get that kind of performance in a smaller package...

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.