The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
it depends. What are you applying it to. What size tank? What is your objective? Are you reafing or planted tank? Worth, well worth is a matter of perspective, what is your perspective?

IMHO that is overkill for any 4' tank. I think the largest common tank with a 4' long foot is a 120g. That would be overkill unless you could time the bulbs. Even if you could time them 432w is a massive amount of light at any one time even for a 120g. You could probably grow anything with two watts per gallon over a 120g. Im sure the lighting experts will chime in. My skill expertise in lighting doesnt go over a 40g. So make sure you tell us what size tank you have and if you have any objectives for your tank.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Still too much imo. The w/g rule doesn't scale up for such large tanks. I'm sure with massive CO2 injection, ferts, very short photoperiod, you could pull it off, but having so much light makes for a finicky tank.

Although, 150's are pretty tall right?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Still too much imo. The w/g rule doesn't scale up for such large tanks. I'm sure with massive CO2 injection, ferts, very short photoperiod, you could pull it off, but having so much light makes for a finicky tank.

Although, 150's are pretty tall right?

T5's with the proper parabolic reflectors will penetrate even the deepest tanks. There is a post on reefcentral about how T5's will penetrate just as deep and as MH. And in some cases be even better. I agree that even with a 150 that is way to much light. I wouldnt go over 300 watts, but then again we need the advice of the big tank guru's.

·
Registered
256 Posts
T5's with the proper parabolic reflectors will penetrate even the deepest tanks. There is a post on reefcentral about how T5's will penetrate just as deep and as MH. And in some cases be even better. I agree that even with a 150 that is way to much light. I wouldnt go over 300 watts, but then again we need the advice of the big tank guru's.
I'm aware of that, but the picture does not show such reflectors :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
IMHO, if I were spending a lot of $$ like that on lighting, I'd get something middle of the road that won't wear me out on maintenance, but will be enough to grow *almost* anything. Aim for closer to 2-2.5wpg, even though the wpg rule breaks down as previously mentioned.
I really like the 6x54w Tek light(T5 HO) that I bought for my 4 ft tank. I generally only use 4 x 54w, but there's another 2 bulbs there if I need them. Compared to yours, my fixture was around $295. Then ~$100 for the six bulbs.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have a 125-130 gallon tank and just put on a 4 bulb Current USA fixture and it is BRIGHT! Kicked the butt of my other coralife fixture on brightness even though it isn't that much more in watts. My tank is deeper too. So I'd say, yes an 8 bulb fixture would be overkill! (you and your fish would get tans!):cool:

Go with a 6 bulb if you are growing high light plants.

Tina

·
Banned
579 Posts
I agree with everyone else. T5 is the way to go for big tanks, and if you want the 8 bulb, by all means get it. Just be prepared to only use some of them. I think the 6 would be more than you would ever need and the 4 might be just right. And go with a tek if you can. Shiz, i should be getting paid for this.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yes and no. A 150XH is 30 or 31" tall depending on manufacturer (mine is 31") and even though the wpg rule is less on large tanks thats almost offset by the extra depth when exceeding 30" IMO. Especially if the light is higher off the tank that will reduce it a little too. Its 2.8wpg, but it does not have optimal reflector like the tek, which I'd assume would be worth probably 25% output or so, so probably similar to the 6 bulb Tek, but with some problems I'll mention below. Also, are you going to put a glass top over the tank? Thats worth a little bit of light too.

Some problems with that fixture. Its for terrestrial plants. It probably doesnt include any waterproof fitting or anything. Not that big of deal though. The main thing is usually they are all on 1 cord, meaning you cant use multiple timers to set the amount of light and create sunrise/sunset with limited amount of time at full blast. And there is the reflector issue. That unit has just 1 reflector over the whole thing - less light in the tank and also wasting power (more bulbs to replace too, at $15-20 a pop that adds up fast). it seems like a good deal but all those little added features from the better Tek light really do add up and make it worth while. If your not going to go with a fixture with individual reflectors then I'd probably go with AHSupply, as long as you dont mind some DIY the prices are great.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
My tank is 30" deep, I wonder?
30" tall shouldn't be a problem. My tank is 24" tall and I have the fixture raised about 4-5" above the tank's surface. Great growth.

Bri said:
ahsupply will give you the same, if not more for a lot less.
Definately not true. While, I agree that ahsupply is a great bang for the buck and probably the best deal out there for PC's, they shudder in comparison to T5's. PC's have a lot more restrike due to the curved bulb and therefore lose a lot of intensity. ahsupply/PC's are cheaper, but not better. Especially due to the depth of this 30" tall tank, PCs would be a bad choice. T5's also burn cooler, so no fans or vents needed.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
ahsupply will give you the same, if not more for a lot less.
Definately not true. While, I agree that ahsupply is a great bang for the buck and probably the best deal out there for PC's, they shudder in comparison to T5's.
I might disagree. The efficiency difference is slight, yes, and restrike limits CF as well. But AHSupply uses good reflectors that provide less restrike than a T5 with a flat reflector. So comparing AHSupply to a cheap T5 setup, yeah I might say they will give you the same, if not more (and a lot of times for less).. And the focus of the AHSuply reflectors are probably about the same as like the Tek (anyone with both verify this?) so depth of tank is going to effect both the same, so no advantage with one over the other just due to depth. There would be an advantage, if one particular type had a tighter focus, providing of course it still spread enough light evenly over the plants (not talking about a laser lol). However on that cheap setup, 30" is probably going to impact the light as much as the difference in restrike is, or more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.