The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a collection of tanks - reef, swfo, planted etc. But what I don't have is an invert tank. I just acquired a 46 gallon bow-front in a trade. This one is 36Lx16x21H. I have be admiring the Candy Canes, Cherries..even the plain Ghosts have their beauty. Thumbs up or Down!?: :fish1:

I also have a 20 gallon that has been setup for quite a while with just plants - so this might be the better choice even after the 46 is cycled. Just thought that I would scape it towards the little guys right off the bat. Then transfer them over after the cycle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I am excited. Last night I set up the tank. Have a cycled filter on it, RO water and some mosses and plants. Have the other cycled tank to house shrimp in til the other larger one is ready.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Your water params will dictate what kind of shrimp you can keep.

The candy cane, or Crystal Red Shrimp as they are called, do best in a low ph/low gh/kh tank. Cherries prefer a higher ph/gh/kh. Ghost shrimp are sold as feeders and are sometimes in poor heath and don't last long a lot of times.

The problem with a 46 gallon is that unless you have hundreds of shrimp you won't see them that often. I have a 20gal will probably 200+ Fire Red Cherries in it and can see 30 or so at a time until it's feeding time and there is only moss in there. lol.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you suggest anything that can fill out the tank. White mountain minnows for activity worked well with the Amanos for over a year until I took down that tank. Started with 8 shrimp and ended with eight. Was pretty happy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Can you suggest anything that can fill out the tank. White mountain minnows for activity worked well with the Amanos for over a year until I took down that tank. Started with 8 shrimp and ended with eight. Was pretty happy.

I have micro Rasboras (Boraras Merah) and pygmy Corydoras in my 20L PFR tank. No drama period. Everybody minds thier own business and sometimes peacefully congregate around a piece of food at dinner. Several of my PFRs are berried and ready to be mommas in another week or so, so they must not be too stressed.:smile:

the Rasboras are a bit more pushy than the Cories though. JHust a few ideas.

-Zach

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you once again. :) being a huge Internet reader I know if you read long enough you will get completely opposite answers if you read long enough. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and will take both advice very seriously.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Like the others have mentioned, you will want to keep other fish in a 46g bowfront other than just shrimp. I always suggest otocinclus which will never bother any shrimp. Also, many kinds of tetras can live in peace with them as well. If your tank is heavy planted, then you could try some beautiful bolivian rams. I had one in a previous set up and never bothered anything, others might say they can be territorial. I think this is just due to spacing.
Also, I have ghost shrimp that I purchased and all have survived and are multiplying. I believe they are a good start off shrimp, since they are hardy. This will give you an idea if you are up for an invert tank, before spending more money on Crystals or more expensive shrimp. Just need to always pay attention to water parameters, but 46g gives you more room for error than 20g. But you have the passion, and I'm sure you can accomplish your goal! Good luck and keep us posted. If you need anything PM me I'd be happy to try to help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I keep Betta's in my Cull tank and i've had 3 different Betta's in that tank at different times and they don't even notice the Shrimp. Granted they are adults, i think that you will find most smaller schooling fish wont mess with the adults, but the babies are perfect snacks for them.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I am excited. Last night I set up the tank. Have a cycled filter on it, RO water and some mosses and plants. Have the other cycled tank to house shrimp in til the other larger one is ready.
make sure to keep the cycle going. bacteria does die if not fed
a couple flakes of food here and there goes a LONG way to preserving things

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
dastowers,

I have also made the leap to a 20 gallon high tank. The cycling of a shrimp tank will honestly vary from a conventional fish tank. How so?

Mainly because a typically lower PH makes for a longer ammonia, nitrate cycle while also allowing both the necessary enzymes, biofilm and beneficial bacteria to develop to sustain shrimp. The tank was seeded with bacters, calcium clay and akadama substrate running over an undergravel filter.

My current tank houses 30 CRS, 10 CBS, 3 Goldens, 2 Pinnochio, 2 Amano Juvies, 8 pygmae cories, 10 micro rasboras, 12 strawberry rasboras and 15 h.formosas... oh and two hillstream loaches.

This tank has been the most stable shrimp tank i have kept. Its densely planted with taiwan moss, java ferns, needle leaf java ferns, pennywort and some random clippings.

Just know that shrimp only tanks tend to be very boring as most of the activity resides on the substrate or maybe on random surfaces leaving a majority of the mid tank sparce. Plant heavily and add some shrimp safe fish.

I'm having a ton of fun with this tank so i could imagine you'll likely have the same in your bowfront. best of luck!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hello,
I have a 46-gallon bow front OEBT & PFR tank. The best thing I like about it is the large water column. It makes it easier to keep good parameters. On the other hand the bow of the glass is a pain in the (you know) when trying to view small shrimplets and take pics. It is like turning a magnifying lens and looking through it. Here is my thread take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158263

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.