The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, happy to be back in this hobby!
With everything being so hectic, I needed something that will be a relaxing presence in my life.
I will keep this journal up to date full of new posts/pictures documenting my journey.
Feel free to extend any advice or questions you have. Please Enjoy!

Tank:
ADA Cube Garden 45-P Aquarium (Ultra High Clarity Glass) w/ ADA Garden Mat
Lighting: Chihiros RGB II with "Acrylic" fixed leg design
Heater: Archaea Mini Aquarium Heater (50W) Ultra Slim; Finnex Heater Controller
Filter: Ultum Nature Systems DELTA 60 Aquarium Canister Filter w/ Coarse Sponge, Purigen, and Bio Balls; Stainless Jet Outlet and Surface Skimmer Inflow
CO2: GLA MINI-DS Aquarium CO2 Regulator (Dual Stage) for Paintball Tanks; Milwaukee MC122 PH Controller; 24oz Paintball Tank; Qanvee CO2 Inline Atomizer
Substrate: Tropica Aquarium Soil - Powder Granule - 6L
Flora: Rotala Hra (Back Left), Limnophila Aromatica (Back Right), Ludwigia Natans Super Red (Center), Hemianthus Micranthemoides 'Pearl Weed' (Front/Mid Right), Hydrocotyle Tripartita 'Japan' (Front Left)
Fauna: (TBD) - Boraras brigittae, Ramshorn Snails, Nerite Snails, Crystal Red Shrimp?
Parameters:

PH w/o CO2: 7.0
PH w/ CO2: 6.3
GH: 6 dGH
KH: 3 dGH
TDS: 220 (after WC)
Temp: 72 Deg. F
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20 - 30ppm
Photo Period: 4 hours
PAR at Substrate: 60
PAR at Surface: 75
RGB Ratio: 48:32:16

IMG_0653.jpg
Jan 8th 2021

IMG_0649.jpg
Dec 27th 2020

image0(9).jpg
Dec 16th 2020

IMG_0634(1).jpg
Dec 3rd 2020

IMG_0615.jpg
Nov 10th 2020

IMG_0614.jpg
Nov 4th 2020

Reduced the intensity of the light; GSA creeping in. Hopefully I can find a balance.

IMG_0612.jpg
Oct 31st 2020

IMG_0610.jpg
Oct 25th 2020 - Post Trim

IMG_0609.jpg
Oct 25th 2020 - Pre trim

IMG_0608.jpg
Oct 20th 2020

Moved the Ludwigia Repens to the back left of the tank and added Hemianthus Micranthemoidesin its place.
Awaiting the arrival of stainless lily pipes and a PH controller.

image1(4).jpg
image0(8).jpg
Oct 13th 2020

IMG_0595.jpg
Oct 6th 2020

Good growth, DHG is melting back with some diatoms.

image0(7).jpg
Oct 4th 2020

Plants adjusting well, half dose of micros, very little sign of algae.
50% water changes every other day for the first week.
Ludwigia Repens sending down roots from nodes.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Looks nice... but only 3 of your pictures actually show :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hardscape looks great! What room is this tank placed in, looks a bit like a kitchen counter but not quite?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks nice... but only 3 of your pictures actually show :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, I only have three photos in the post...
It looks correct for me in desktop but, looks odd in mobile? I will look into those problems! Thanks for the kind words.

Bump:
Hardscape looks great! What room is this tank placed in, looks a bit like a kitchen counter but not quite?

Thank you! You are right, it is in my kitchen. The attached photo might give more context.

IMG_0463.jpg

Bump:

Bump:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thank you! You are right, it is in my kitchen. The attached photo might give more context.

View attachment 897763

Bump:

Bump:
Ah, so my spider senses weren't too far off then :wink: Cool, nice with the updated pictures. I do the same with mixing soil and sand and it's a pain to keep them separated, especially when re-planting.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, so my spider senses weren't too far off then :wink: Cool, nice with the updated pictures. I do the same with mixing soil and sand and it's a pain to keep them separated, especially when re-planting.

This is my first time experiencing this! Do you have any advice? I think I am at the point where I need to keep my big mitts out of the tank for a while for the plants to grow in. After everything roots well, I will probably take a tweezer and move the aquasoil back into place during a water change?

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is my first time experiencing this! Do you have any advice? I think I am at the point where I need to keep my big mitts out of the tank for a while for the plants to grow in. After everything roots well, I will probably take a tweezer and move the aquasoil back into place during a water change?
Once everything is planted you can use a tweezer or a fish net to get rid of the soil particles and it should be fairly clean after that. Be careful with waterchange and filters stirring it up though. I tried to build natural barrier with wood and pebbles to keep it in check, much harder for an Iwagumi scape but perhaps something to consider.

From my log, you can see the soil in the most left part of the image, then I use sand at the front just like you do.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Your tank (and kitchen) looks awesome! I like your plant choices. When things fill in, the scale will be amazing. Looking forward to seeing the Chili's too, when the time comes

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey everyone,
Drastic changes to this scape!
I couldn't fight off my algae problems long enough for my Blyxa or my UG to take off.
Hopefully, I have learned my lesson on this dutch inspired scape. Replaced all the old substrate with brand new and gave the tank a good cleaning.
Starting with a short photo period of 6 hours and cranking the CO2 (1.5 drop in PH when lights turn on). I am optimistic the large plant mass will help me hold off the algae and see some good results.
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

-Time for the first trim on the Hra. I was able to trim many of the stems at the base, leaving rooted, off shoots and replanting the tops.
I am hoping to do a trim like this each weekend moving forward to get rid of the shaded/old growth on each species of stems.
It seems logical to rotate the trimmings as to not throw the system out of balance and encourage algae.

-Green dust algae still a problem but not appearing as quickly; diatoms only on old growth.

-Thinking about adding Ramshorn snails to control the amount of organics in the tank; afraid my Nerites have not done well with the amount of CO2 I was running.

-The pearl weed is melting badly but, I am seeing some new growth so hopefully it bounces back.

-I added a PH controller. Hopefully, this will give me more control/consistency with my CO2 levels.

-Waiting for the arrival of the stainless outflow and skimmer inlet; I want to reduce the clutter in the tank.

Thanks for watching!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hoping to get some input....

Having trouble getting rid of the algae at the lower portions of my plants. (see most recent picture on the first post).
Can anyone let me know what type of algae I am looking at and how I might fight it?

I think I am dealing with a combination of green spot, diatoms, or hair algae?
Below are the steps I am taking to resolve the problem.

50% water changes every other day.
Vacuuming the substrate to remove access organics.
Reduced light intensity to 40 PAR was over 70 PAR
Dosing Macros and Micros to EI levels.
Added Nerite and Ramshorn Snails.
Keeping canister filter and skimmer clean. Skimmer is cleaned weekly and canister every other.

Would love some input...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts