The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few days ago my wife made a comment about how nice it would be to have another riparium, this one in the living room next to the TV. I laughed it off, but she insisted it wasn't a bad idea at all. So, I explained that it would be a very easy one to set up with a semi automatic water change system, if she was serious. She insisted she was serious.

Two days ago I found a nice 60 gallon tank on Craigslist so I asked her if that would fit her desire. Nope! She wanted one with a one piece front and ends, with curved front corners, not square cornered box.

This morning I found, on Craigslist a 45 gallon tank, 35 x 16 x 19 inch rimless tank, formerly used as a salt water tank, with a stand, for $150. I asked her if that would do it. She said, maybe at $125, but not $150. So, a couple of emails later I agreed to buy it for $100, and it now sits in the back of my PT Cruiser, after a 100 mile round trip.

This is a dream tank for me, one that I have looked everywhere for. Now the work begins!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
First off, awesome deal.
Second off, I wish people insisted that I buy more tanks.
Thirdly, awesome deal
Fourthly, hurry up
I second all said above!:iamwithst

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last night I was informed that this is my Christmas present. So, I owe Santa Claus a thank you note.

Before I can set this up I first need to get it out of the car. See, great projects start with simple steps. (I can't even post a photo until I can get it out of the car.)

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Here is the tank, a "Jebo style" tank, rimless from the manufacturer, formerly used as a reef tank by two other owners. Today my daughter and grandson visited so I persuaded her to help carry it up the stairs. Heavy tank! You can see that I have started scraping off the mineral deposits at the former water line. Actually it isn't that hard to do, so far. And, some calcium removing bathroom cleaner should finish off the slight haze remaining. Famous last words?

Behind it you can see the bag of pool filter sand I bought yesterday - $15 for 50 pounds.

On the wall is the inlet and outlet for the water change/replenishing system for my 65 gallon riparium. This one will use that same system.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Aaaaah, I wouldn't use bathroom cleaner for it! Just use vinegar mixed with water. I would be too scared to use any sort of cleaner on a tank.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aaaaah, I wouldn't use bathroom cleaner for it! Just use vinegar mixed with water. I would be too scared to use any sort of cleaner on a tank.
Anything we use to clean a tank, other than plain water, has to be rinsed off and the residue removed from the tank. A dry tank, whatever it was cleaned with can have a very, very tiny amount of any cleaning material left on it. I have used "CLR" and other similar materials before, for cleaning the hardwater haze off the glass. No problems have occurred as a result. Remember, even bleach has to be cleaned out before using the tank again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That was indeed a very nice pickup.
I can't wait to see this go up.

PS i find it funny that not only did you have to pay for your present from Santa you also had to drive and pick it up :p

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
That tank combined with you skill will make an awsome riparium Hoppy!

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
We have very heavy water here ( read as rock hard ) and I have used CLR full strength to get it off. Just make sure ( as I am sure you are aware ) to rinse, rinse and rinse again. Then Rinse it all over again. Never had an issue.

Great deal!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That was indeed a very nice pickup.
I can't wait to see this go up.

PS i find it funny that not only did you have to pay for your present from Santa you also had to drive and pick it up :p
Rudolph was busy that night, so I insisted that my wife act as the directions giver for that trip.:hihi:

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.