The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already asked some of these questions in the equipment forum, but I thought a more specific thread might be better.

My tank is 48x12(ish)x18. So, a bit shorter than a 55 but same footprint. I have been considering the odyssea 2 bulb (110W) fixture. So according to the par chart, if these bulbs had individual reflectors, that would give me too much light (am I reading it right?). But, the fixture in question doesn't. (i don't think) So, does that mean it will give me somewhere in the realm of high light?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for which of these fixtures I should go with. They look very similar.

[Ebay Link Removed]

or

[Ebay Link Removed]

Sorry if you already read these questions in the equipment forum!

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
45 G Lighting

Good morning Alex...

With a longer tank, you can really do more with plants and a little less in the lighting department.

I suggest you research plants and find the ones you like best, then get the appropriate lighting. A lot of people don't agree with the "Watts per Gallon Rule", but we old school water keepers still use it.

Anyway, if you can get 1 to 2 watts of light per gallon of tank size, you'll be able to grow most aquatic plants. I have less than a watt of light per gallon in my 55 G tanks and grow quite a few plants.

There are a number of things you can do with plants, from planting them in the gravel, to using pots and potting soil to attaching them to floating pieces of driftwood.

Dosing some type of dry or liquid fertilizer is very helpful too.

If you need help, just PM me anytime or ask some specific questions on this forum. There are quite a number of experts here.

Above all, have fun!

B

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, they are definitely T5HOs. Thanks for the advice. I am a little reluctant to choose my lighting based on what I want to grow now, because I don't really want to have to upgrade in the future. I will be injecting CO2, by the way.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
110 watts for two bulbs makes me think you have PC bulbs, not T5HO. If that is right, the amount of light you will get depends on the reflector quality. If it is shaped to reflect light from the side and part of the bottom of the bulb on each side of the bulb, it would be about the same as an AH Supply light, assuming it is wide enough to allow the light from the reflector to be effective - 3-4 inches or so. If the reflector is just flat, perhaps with one side bent up a bit, it would be closer to the curve on the chart for non-AHS PC lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.