The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just got this tank cycled and threw a bunch of my trimmings in from my 20 gallon. They prolly wont stay in there. I'm in need of some advice for the design. I have some of this Seiryu Stone and I plan on doing a heavily planted tank.

Some of my plants on order, arriving this Friday and the rest mid next week sometime.

1. x3 - Mayaca sp. suloweniana
  2. x2 - Rotala Magenta
  3. x1- Ludwigia Pantanal
  4. x2 -Hygrophila Lancea
  5. x2 -anubias nana petite
  6. x4 inches -Jave fern Needle leaf
  7. x4 inches -Java fern thread leaf
  8. x5 - Petite 5+ leaves
  9. x1 - Barteri
  10. x1 - Coffeefolia
  11. x2 - Microswords 2x2 portion
Anyways the back right rocks are stacked to form the 2 arches. (5 rocks total in there.)

I'm wanting to give it depth and have 1 more bag of eco complete that should be arriving today to hopefully raise up the back right corner.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm terrible with layouts lol

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
Waterbox Frag 105.4 High Tech
3,399 Posts
Make it more directional and have a nice area of focus.
Your layout is too 'spread out' IMO. Also there is no flow with the angles of your rocks. Notice how the best looking hardscapes have rocks that flow in a certain direction. For example that vertical rock looks completely out of place. If you set up your rocks so the cracks in them gestured towards the arches (definitely your focal point) it would look better. For instance the rock in the very front right in front of the arch is 'pointing' away from your arches. IMO it should definitely be flipped to point towards the arches.

Also the arches are way too close to the right wall. Move them in at least 10-20% of the tanks length and see what happens. Same thing with the far left rock. IMO you should never have rocks right against the wall unless you have a really heavily hardscaped tank or are doing something unique. I don't think this is the case with your layout.

Just my 2 cents - I'm certainly no expert at scaping lol

Also you need way more plants to start out - makes things easier

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I will try moving everything in a little closer when I get off work today and flip them so they all point the same way. The rocks are currently about 1-2 inches way from the glass.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Visually, it is a little out of balance. All the weight is on the far right. Move the arches a little closer to the center. The two rocks to the immediate left of the arches should also move to the left. The rock on the far left should move to the far right.

Here is a rough Photoshop hack to show what I mean.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks much better! In my opinion, I would tilt all the rocks that aren't part of the arch towards the center of the tank (left). Also, the rock in the front right might look nicer if moved to another location...perhaps behind the stone that is behind it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks much better! In my opinion, I would tilt all the rocks that aren't part of the arch towards the center of the tank (left). Also, the rock in the front right might look nicer if moved to another location...perhaps behind the stone that is behind it?
I will try that tomorrow!

Looks good, just needs more plants! :)
Thanks, 1st batch of plants arrive in the mail tomorrow and the 2nd half wed-thursday next week. I just threw some trimmings from my 20 gallon for something to look at in the meantime lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok finally did receive all my plants and got them in.

I like the way everything is now, just need to put some more time in to it and properly plant the lawn lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.