The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi yall imconductin an experiment with my lighting. I used to have a double light fixture with two 28 watt t-5 normal output. One burned out and i had an extra 420 layin around so i put it in the fixture and see how it works out. Now lets see how well my plants grow with one 10k and one 420. Udate when i notice any changes.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Depending on who's chart you look at, the 420 nm bulb is in the range of plant use.
On one chart I recently saw, it's better for chlorophil A than the 460 nm.
That having been said, what bulb did you have in there before it ?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
You might look up the actual bulbs you had (and still have one of) and see what sort of spectrum they have. 10,000 K is decidedly toward the blue to our eyes. Probably missing a fair amount of the reds that plants need.

·
Registered
12,848 Posts
You might look up the actual bulbs you had (and still have one of) and see what sort of spectrum they have. 10,000 K is decidedly toward the blue to our eyes. Probably missing a fair amount of the reds that plants need.
Regardless of white temp... most flour. lights are just RGB phosphors anyways...

http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Documents/FL Phosphors.htm

Selective additions create "colored"...

·
Registered
12,848 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Anyone feel free to ammend this.
In a "blue" or "red" bulb all the energy is being used to provide light in a spectrum which plants can use best.
Other bulbs often caled "white light bulbs" use energy to provide a wide spectrum of light most of which is a bit harder for the plants to use, except for any blue or red part of them.
I have seen pictures of plant farms where there is no light except red bulbs.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
How are you supposed to note the differences in growth? Were you measuring the rates before the change to form your basis of your "experiment"?

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts