The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have this Coralife hood which is meant specifically for a 28W bulb. It has a daylight/actinic lamp.

I think model numbers 2023, 2024, or 2025 would fit nicely in my current hood and give me much better results.

The bulb with which the hood came is only 13 inches long, but the hood is 20 inches long. Since most of that light is concentrated in the center of the tank, I would really like the utilize that additional hood space. The bulbs at which I am looking are 17 inches long.

My questions are:

• Will I actually get 40W out of a bulb that's put into a hood with a power output of 28W, or will it be limited?
  • Will bad things happen if I put the 40W bulb in my 28W hood?
  • What is the difference between model numbers 2023, 2024, and 2025?
  • Which is most appropriate?
Thanks.

http://www.current-usa.com/sunpaq.html

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It depends on the ballast. Some ballasts can be wired to more than one size bulb. For example the Workhorse ballast used in a 2 x 55 watt AH Supply light can also be connected to operate 2 x 36 watt bulbs. But, I have no idea what ballast is in that fixture. If you can find out, look up the manufacturers website to see if it has wiring diagrams for the different ballasts. And, you might be able to replace the ballast with the right one for a 40 watt bulb.

·
Registered
423 Posts
actinic bulbs are more useful for reef/saltwater tanks. Not important for freshwater/planted tanks.

2024 would be perfect. 6700K/10000K combo

There maybe other bulbs you can use like GE 9375K or I think there's a 8800K bulb out there as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.