The Planted Tank Forum banner

40ppm nitrates after water change

272 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Kidfish
Hey guys so I am familiar enough with why I could have this problem but one possible reason and thats where l am looking for advice is that I have a good amount of aquascaping which inlcudes live plants mopani and spider driftwood and dragon stone so I am thinking there must be quite a biuild up waste under and in there but the thought of pulling everything out and you know a lot of crap is going to get kicked up so the question is do I do it?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6g office nano, 20g aio cube, 2 x 40g breeder community and 75g
933 Posts
It's not optimal, but it isn't a dire situation. Clean as well as you can and continue your water changes. You can do larger or more frequent water changes to lower the nitrates if this is causing some algae issues. You could also add floating plants or a house plant like Pathos to the aquarium to suck up those extra nitrates.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not optimal, but it isn't a dire situation. Clean as well as you can and continue your water changes. You can do larger or more frequent water changes to lower the nitrates if this is causing some algae issues. You could also add floating plants or a house plant like Pathos to the aquarium to suck up those extra nitrates.
👍

· Registered
4,917 Posts
Hey guys so I am familiar enough with why I could have this problem but one possible reason and thats where l am looking for advice is that I have a good amount of aquascaping which inlcudes live plants mopani and spider driftwood and dragon stone so I am thinking there must be quite a biuild up waste under and in there but the thought of pulling everything out and you know a lot of crap is going to get kicked up so the question is do I do it?
A few background questions, is this a regular weekly water change? If so, measure your tap water and see if there is much nitrates in that. If it's more then 10ppm in your tap, then I would 1) bet you are on a well, and 2) that you need to shock your well.

If your tap water is not showing more then 10ppm nitrates, I would guess you don't do regular weekly water changes, or that your feeding amounts is way out of proportion to the fish you have.

Would need some of those questions answered to narrow it down any further.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few background questions, is this a regular weekly water change? If so, measure your tap water and see if there is much nitrates in that. If it's more then 10ppm in your tap, then I would 1) bet you are on a well, and 2) that you need to shock your well.

If your tap water is not showing more then 10ppm nitrates, I would guess you don't do regular weekly water changes, or that your feeding amounts is way out of proportion to the fish you have.

Would need some of those questions answered to narrow it down any further.
Okay no well water and I do weekly water changes and l am feeding once a day but I think l might be giving them to much.
What do you think about the waste that builds up under all the driftwood and stone would that contribute and should it be removed and vacuumed up but I am concerned about all the waste and debris getting kicked up into the water

· Premium Member
145 Posts
A trick that I learned from The 2 Hour Aquarist is to use a turkey baster while you gravel vac. Gently squirt the turkey baster in spots that you can't reach with the gravel vac and then follow along with the gravel vac. You can also zip tie the baster to your gravel vac. I'm sure there's lots of videos on YouTube.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A trick that I learned from The 2 Hour Aquarist is to use a turkey baster while you gravel vac. Gently squirt the turkey baster in spots that you can't reach with the gravel vac and then follow along with the gravel vac. You can also zip tie the baster to your gravel vac. I'm sure there's lots of videos on YouTube.
Yes I have done that and it’s very helpful but I am only getting around the edge of my large driftwood so should I lift the wood out but then a lot of waste gets kicked up unless I wait for it to settle back down just not sure?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts