The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

restarted in november, reusing the substrate. low light and co2. a few stems to monitor the water and some xmas moss on the wood.

triggered some gwa before an order of dwarf hairgrass and light came in; adding the light didn't help :)

changed the filter and co2 injection method. the canister added too much surface area to clean for me (tubes, reactor, etc). this is much easier to work with.

uv sterilizer after a week, those 6500K bulbs look pretty green.

some hair algae started up during the gwa. i think it came with the moss. the grass needs a trim.

·
Registered
689 Posts
How are your bala's with the plants. I had mine tear up all my plants and had to finaly get ride of him. Shame too had him for over 4 years and he got really BIG

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think you're looking for a disaster. 1- balas in a 40 is not right. 2- 3 balas and a school of rasboras+ open top= dried up, dead fish.
other than the fish, the tank looks great. i would remove the pirate skull.
what light is that?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
never grown a fish out? the footprint is the same as a 90gl, it's lacking the verticle height which those fish don't use.

those fish have been with an open top for almost a year now, no jumpers :)

jbj formosa

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Ok, but you can't say you weren't warned. balas are noturiuos jumpers.
that's a neat size then huh.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
the footprint is the same as a 90gl
If its a 40 long then it would be the same footprint as a 55G just shorter. 48x12x16.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, thanks for warning me, i've had the big one for over 2yrs now. if you think say, 4" width really matter to the balas you have no clue about their behavior.

Wingsdlc, 90gl come in all shapes like every other water volume. regardless, they have the minimum surface area recommended for growing adult balas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts